The Right Card for Me

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hello, this is my first post here, I've been reading topics for about a week and am very impressed by how good community you have!

I am really confused because Nvidia has alot of GPUs that are good, but I need just one, I don't know which to choose.
Just like the games need requirments, I bet the GPUs too have it's own.
What I need: I need a Nvidia GPU for gaming (1GB), not just for now, but to be high quality for the next 5-8 years, I won't play every game at the highest settings.

My System:
Operating System: Windows 7 32-Bit
MotherBoard: ASRock N73V-S
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2/ Freq: 266.7MHz/ Speed: 400MHz (DDR2 800)
Current GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 620i
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor 19.1"
1: Maybe I'll buy the Intel Core i5 3.1Ghz CPU
2: I'll make the RAM (2x2GB) for upgrading to 64-Bit
(If you need to know anything else, just ask)

I want to run Crysis 2 on it's highest settings, not that I like it but it's the most demanding game for now, so if I can beat that, I can play any game!
Am thinking of buying the GTX 560 ti or the GTS 450 (anything with 1GB that doesn't demand much!)

EDIT: Here's how the budget will be:
Graphics Card: $500-700
CPU: $300-400 (thinking of Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor)
MotherBoard: $500
PSU: $500 (Need only 600-700W)

Solution
Here is my suggestion for you: all available via KSP

CPU: Core i5 2500K 995
MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 845
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill NT Dual Channel CL9-9-9-24 245
GPU: AMD HD 6950 2GB DIRT 3 GDDR5 1370
HD Samsung: 1TB 7200RPM HD103SJ 255
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler 310
FANS: Arctic F12 120mm X2@40NIS 80
CASE: Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower Gamer Black Case (No PSU)...

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
First what is the resolution you are playing at and second that PSU does your system have?

Why are you stuck with only Nvidia? AMD cards are just as good and are known for best bang for buck.

Ok there are a few things here worth mentioning.

First off you can easily get a card that will be avast improvement on what you have now. However high quality,true high quality is not within the capabilities of your currant PC, your CPU is a bit on the weak side to properly run a card that could be considered on the better side of midrange to be honest.

Upgrading to the i5 is a very good idea but that means a new Motherboard/ Ram so it may as well be a new system really.
The way its written it sounds like you may think you can just swap out the 5400 which isn't possible.

As Rizlla mentions your PSU is going to be key here to what you can and cant do. You are in a position where it really only makes sense to maximise what you have rather than shoot for 5-8 years worth of lifespan which is very unrealistic.

If you did get a GTS450 (entry level gaming card) now in 5 years time, assuming discrete low end cards are still being made then a card to blow that out of the water will cost about half what the GTS does today.
For example a few months ago the 5830/5850 were relaunched by Sapphire at a price point well below the 5770 had been retailing for, so future proofing really to me just does not work in graphics.

If you are on a budget that means you cant go for a whole new rig then i would seriously consider looking at something like a HD5760 as a capable card with minimal power requirements it fits with your existing hardware very well.
This is where the PSU comes into it as a GTS450 will easily outperform that card and a HD 5750 is about the same but its difficult to say what you can and cant run without knowing your PSU spec's.

Mactronix :)

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
First of all, thank you for replying.
I'll play on 1280 x 1024 minimum.
I really don't know what is my PSU model or how much watt it has, but once am at the store I'll buy a 500W if mine isn't that good.
And what about my motherboard? is it really that bad? What would you recommend me (Intel or Nvidia only)?
And I think my CPU is good, but not enough for highest settings for Crysis 2.
I only want Nvidia, I don't know alot about AMD.

You are being way to simplistic about this. You cant just go to a store and buy a new 500 watt PSU. Im not trying to insult you but its those like yourself that store sales people love to prey on. You would probably end up getting sold a PSU that is no better than what you have. A decent branded 400Watt PSU can often be a better unit than a cheaper 5-600 watt cheap unit.

Your Motherboard has a different socket for the CPU, its not about it being bad the i3/5/7 CPU's plain wont fit is all. Yours is LGA 775 while a i5 chip is LGA 1156.

What budget do you have ? It would probably be best if we knew that then could advise on what we think the best upgrade path is for you. I have a hunch that a new system is probably the way to go if budget allows.

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Well, in here, it's 5000 shekels (the budget), which is $1300 but it may be cheaper in here, so let's say $3000!
am sorry that am not much with computer, what mobo would you recommend me?

Zero_

Distinguished
I'll agree with mactronix on everything he's been saying. Looking at your requirement, a full system rebuild is probably in order.

Also, why the Intel/Nvidia preference? Has someone been telling you AMD is bad? Because AMD is currently the market leader in terms of performance per $. Nvidia simply cannot match AMD performance per $. Even Intel is just about on par with AMD when it comes to sub $150 CPU's.

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
@zero_
I had AMD drivers before Nvidia, but updating the drivers was more complicated, am not saying AMD is bad, but in my place, it's not common, and I can't buy from NewEgg or TigerDirect because am not in the US, it's alot harder here, I have to find a store first, then look if he has what I need!

There is nothing wrong with having a preference one way or the other as long as it makes sense, at least one way or the other.
Some people have a bad experience and it just puts them off that's fine by me as I have never run Nvidia hardware for no other reason than i never have and now I know my way around ATI/AMD Graphics hardware probably better than most if I do say so myself.

While you probably wont end up with the fastest system going investing an an AMD AM3+ (Bulldozer capable) motherboard would be what i would be looking at doing. This close to launch it would certainly be an idea to at least wait and see what the Bulldozer chip is capable of and at what price point. The motherboards are out now and will take AM3 CPU's if you really cant wait.
AM3+ boards will support both Crossfire or SLI should you fancy that down the road

You do know that a single Nvidia card will run perfectly well in most AMD motherboard by the way ?

Failing that the sensible money for a rig you know will perform well as an all rounder these days is going to be based around the sandy bridge chips 2500 and 2600K variants.

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Thank you, Mactronix
Can you tell me what motherboard, PSU and CPU cooler will be able to play GTX 560 Ti + Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor + (2x2)GB RAM DDR2?

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Take your time! :D
BTW: I tried playing Crysis 2 on my current GPU, it said that "it's unsupported! and continuing to run might lead to unexpected results or crashes."
I know what it means.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I'm not being funny, but you want a GPU bought in 2011, to be good for upto 8 YEARS, seriously GTFO. If you get the best GPU now, it will be obsolete in 3years and thats stretching it.

jet-21

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I am in israel at the moment and for 5000 Nis, you can get a decent new computer from KSP, would you be ok with a new system? what case do you have now? With my rig now (@signature), i cannot max crysis at 1650x1050, just for you to have an idea.

jet-21

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Here is my suggestion for you: all available via KSP

CPU: Core i5 2500K 995
MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 845
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill NT Dual Channel CL9-9-9-24 245
GPU: AMD HD 6950 2GB DIRT 3 GDDR5 1370
HD Samsung: 1TB 7200RPM HD103SJ 255
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler 310
FANS: Arctic F12 120mm X2@40NIS 80
CASE: Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower Gamer Black Case (No PSU) 280
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W HCG-900 (Retail) 655
Total price 5035 ₪

Solution
Well i took a look and then found that you have a pretty decent solution already suggested by jet-21.
If that is all within your budget then go for it.
There are things I would change, but they are only personal preference things such as using a Corsair PSU, and not as high a power unit either, probably change the case for a HAF from cooler master.
Also you would no doubt swap out the 6950 for the Nvidia equivalent, The 560 TI from Asus is a pretty good match, probably slightly below it in raw performance but that's game dependant. At your resolution in Grysis there is little difference at all.

So either go for the specs as they are or tweak it a bit to fit what you want better. Either way its the basis of a very decent system.

jet-21

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
@mactronix: everything here in israel is quiet expensive because of all the taxes.

A corsair GS800 is 650NIS and an AX750 is 850NIS so bang for the buck i would chose the antec HCG900. good reviews for jonnyguru.

he can opt for the asus gtx 560TI for 1290NIS

with all the dust here, if he gets a haf case he would have to clean it every month and a half.

jet-21

Fair enough but I would just say that bang for the buck dosent really come into it for a PSU.
That system doesnt need anything like that much power and would run just as well on a 650 PSU.
I guess going bigger does cover dual cards if that might be an option.
As I said it was just personal preference really I would always go with the single rail Corsair over a multi rail PSU.

I will bow to your superior local knowledge :D

jet-21

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
@Mactronix

Which is cheaper where you are? Corsairs or Seasonics? The AX750 & AX850 are both seasonics, right? The Psu is my own personal preference too. =)

I will be getting both the antec hcg900 and a X-850, to upgrade my rigs. Still waiting on bulldozer.

Computer parts here are 15-40% more expensive as compared to the us, so it kinda sucks.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my suggestion. =)

Jet-21

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

What and where is KSP?
I like your suggestions, but for RAM I only need 4GB, and I want a Nvidia GPU only (GTX 560 Ti), I have a decent monitor. Just tell me what and where is KSP?

EDIT: Thank you, I found their website, they have decent offers. Now only 2 things left:
1: Do they deliver to my place? It's a small village called Abu Ghosh near Tel Aviv.
2: Your specs that you gave me, can they run Crysis 2 on it's highest settings?
Thanks

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Hey, am in a village called Abu Ghosh near Tel Aviv, I don't know how, but I'll send it to my friend, he can.
If it costs the same, then the more, the better. :D

TRENDING THREADS