Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Review my build before I pull the trigger

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 25, 2011 7:16:55 PM

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($234.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1087.93
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-11-25 16:11 EST-0500)

Any last comments? I'm assuming that I have enough power and all my parts are compatible? I feel that my GPU is sort of iffy as I'm choosing the EVGA version of the GTX 570 because I've been a fan of EVGA for a long time. I'm also wondering if I should go with Corsair Vengence ram instead of the ram I currently have.

This is my first build so please don't hold back your comments and opinions!

*I should mention that this build is for gaming (Skyrim, BF3, CS:S, Minecraft), CS5 Applications, and heavy internet browsing/multitasking
Thanks everyone!

November 25, 2011 7:22:37 PM

What about the HDD? Seriously man. Everything looks pretty damn solid!
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:29:48 PM

I have one! :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 7:37:23 PM

Seriously. Very cost effective build...you'll hear no complaints for me. Definitely good enough to run Minecraft at 30fps (maybe).

You might want to wait till Cyber Monday to snoop out some deals, but that's obviously your call.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:41:54 PM

Sailor Moon said:
Seriously. Very cost effective build...you'll hear no complaints for me. Definitely good enough to run Minecraft at 30fps (maybe).

You might want to wait till Cyber Monday to snoop out some deals, but that's obviously your call.


Minecraft at only 30fps? I would have expected at least 70... >.>

Is this going to be able to run BF3 at 50-80fps on high settings then?...
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:42:30 PM

Everything looks great. Maybe wait a few more days until the GTX 560 "refresh" is released.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:45:13 PM

box801 said:
Minecraft at only 30fps? I would have expected at least 70... >.>

Is this going to be able to run BF3 at 50-80fps on high settings then?...

:lol:  I was kidding. You'll easily get 100+ FPS and 50-80fps on BF3 running @ High. According to the recent benchmark, you're looking at @ 40-50fps running the game on Ultra and at 1900x1080.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:49:24 PM

Sailor Moon said:
:lol:  I was kidding. You'll easily get 100+ FPS and 50-80fps on BF3 running @ High. According to the recent benchmark, you're looking at @ 40-50fps running the game on Ultra and at 1900x1080.


Thanks for the scare, haha.

I'm wondering if I should go for the 2GB version of the GPU instead. Is it really worth it?
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 7:59:12 PM

box801 said:
Thanks for the scare, haha.

I'm wondering if I should go for the 2GB version of the GPU instead. Is it really worth it?
I don't think there's a 2GB version, only 2.5GB if that's what you meant. It is currently $400 on Amazon, which is only about $30 more than the one you chose. Double the RAM will definitely play a role in extreme high resolutions (e.g., 2560x1600) and multiple monitor setups, but it won't really matter at the lower resolutions. I don't think the one on Amazon I found for you has been factory overclocked, so you'll have to also take that into consideration.

I actually think that you should really consider it because double the RAM is definitely more future proof!

If everything's been answered, hit the "Best Answer" button. Enjoy your build! It definitely kicks ass! :D 
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:36:26 PM

Sailor Moon said:
I don't think there's a 2GB version, only 2.5GB if that's what you meant. It is currently $400 on Amazon, which is only about $30 more than the one you chose. Double the RAM will definitely play a role in extreme high resolutions (e.g., 2560x1600) and multiple monitor setups, but it won't really matter at the lower resolutions. I don't think the one on Amazon I found for you has been factory overclocked, so you'll have to also take that into consideration.

I actually think that you should really consider it because double the RAM is definitely more future proof!

If everything's been answered, hit the "Best Answer" button. Enjoy your build! It definitely kicks ass! :D 


Is there enough wattage for SLI GTX 570's?
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:44:09 PM

Barely but yes. What about cooler?
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:44:36 PM

box801 said:
Is there enough wattage for SLI GTX 570's?
I recommend a very efficient 850W with minimum over-clocking. If you're going to be over-clocking the GPU or CPU (maybe both?), shoot for 900W or even 1000W (900W PSUs aren't too common anyways).
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:49:05 PM

madchemist83 said:
Barely but yes. What about cooler?


I will be using the stock CPU fan. I don't plan on overclocking.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:56:55 PM

cuecuemore said:
You have plenty of power to SLI 570s and overclock them all the way to the max on 750w:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...

Did you even read properly? Or do you really want poor OP to damage his system? He recommends a BARE MINIMUM of 750+ WITHOUT over-clocking...

So yeah. Shoot for the 850W PSU. PSUs are one of the few things that you absolutely don't cheap out on...
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 9:02:58 PM

But his test didn't support his assertion... truth is your could run them just fine on a quality 650w PSU at stock.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 9:08:07 PM

cuecuemore said:
But his test didn't support his assertion... truth is your could run them just fine on a quality 650w PSU at stock.
His test didn't include the CPU load and all the other bits and pieces.

"...power consumption for the cards peaked to roughly 410 Watts, that's JUST the two cards, not the entire PC!"

"On your average system the [single] card requires you to have a 600 Watt power supply unit..."

"A second card requires you to add another ~225 Watts. You need [at the bare minimum] a 750+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking)."

Hmmm? Box801 you definitely need at least a quality and efficient 750W PSU but seriously...is an extra $20-$30 really asking too much for peace of mind and a wide safety net?
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 9:12:37 PM

The whole system pulled 578w AC, GPUs 410w. You should be able to tell that a quality PSU rated for 750w DC can handle that. If you can't, I really don't know what more to say. Do you not know how little power a 2500k and a few fans will use compared to even one of those cards?

EDIT: I wish I could invoke the power of mousemonkey to set you straight.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 10:09:29 PM

Use a reliable 850w PSU or better for a GTX570sli. My last system had 2 560ti SO's in it, and my brand new AX750w gold PSU couldn't handle it. I switched to a Corsair AX850 Gold, and problem solved. Plus, you won't be as limited when upgrading later. Don't let Intel's and Nvidia's numbers fool you. They use more power (with a real full load not a simulated full load) than they tell you, and that has been proven, time and time again, in many reviews/tests. The best case scenario, if you don't have enough power is that you're PC will shutdown. The worst case scenario is that your PC will crash and your PSU will take other hardware with it. If you are a serious enough gamer to use a sli configuration and overclock. Then a 750w PSU or less will not fit your needs. Eventually, you are going to hit a full load, and when you do, you'll be glad that you played it safe.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 10:22:42 PM

jik771971 said:
Use a reliable 850w PSU or better for a 570sli. My last system had 2 560ti SO's in it, and my brand new AX750w gold PSU couldn't handle it.I switched to a Corsair AX850 Gold, and problem solved. Plus, you won't be as limited when upgrading later. Don't let Intel's and Nvidia's numbers fool you. They use more power with a real full load than they tell you, and that has been proven, time and time again, in many reviews/tests.

Look! Here's a poster that actually uses his brain! Listen to this guy OP! :D 
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 12:49:58 AM

jik771971 said:
Use a reliable 850w PSU or better for a GTX570sli. My last system had 2 560ti SO's in it, and my brand new AX750w gold PSU couldn't handle it. I switched to a Corsair AX850 Gold, and problem solved. Plus, you won't be as limited when upgrading later. Don't let Intel's and Nvidia's numbers fool you. They use more power (with a real full load not a simulated full load) than they tell you, and that has been proven, time and time again, in many reviews/tests. The best case scenario, if you don't have enough power is that you're PC will shutdown. The worst case scenario is that your PC will crash and your PSU will take other hardware with it. If you are a serious enough gamer to use a sli configuration and overclock. Then a 750w PSU or less will not fit your needs. Eventually, you are going to hit a full load, and when you do, you'll be glad that you played it safe.


Well I'm now considering the Corsair AX850 Gold but upon reading reviews, there seems to be a problem with a buzz and lots of DOA's. Any info on this or are the reports I'm reading exaggerated?

EDIT: Another question, will I be able to run dual monitors with a game on one monitor and light web browsing on another monitor with the GTX 570 with no hiccups?
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 2:30:37 AM

Pc power and cooling all the way
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 4:41:12 AM

madchemist83 said:
Pc power and cooling all the way


Erm, what? :heink: 
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 4:47:55 AM

box801 said:
Erm, what? :heink: 
Ignore him. Try getting this 850W PSU from Corsair. It is one of, if not the highest rated PSU on Newegg...
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 5:45:09 AM

excuse me ??
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
that's the one I'm talking about
also SailorMoon don't trus newegg reviews too much .. check more credible sites like hardwareheaven and jonnyguru
yes that Corsair is a good PSU .. but for the same price u get more watts ... 2 extra years of warranty.. higher efficiency..
it also has 6 Pci-e power conectors compared to 4 on Corsair .. means u can go 3 way Sli in the future without changin PSU
please research before
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 5:50:37 AM

and even if u base ur reviews on newegg Corsair has almost 9% failure vs less then 4% for PC P&C
to OP
there is no point of overpaying for a gold rating .. the only thing is that it's modular wich can help especially if u have small case
and I would still recommend aftermarket HSF cause even if u OC a little bit (wich u eventually will) it's better to have cooler CPU
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:16:21 PM

madchemist83 said:
and even if u base ur reviews on newegg Corsair has almost 9% failure vs less then 4% for PC P&C
to OP
there is no point of overpaying for a gold rating .. the only thing is that it's modular wich can help especially if u have small case
and I would still recommend aftermarket HSF cause even if u OC a little bit (wich u eventually will) it's better to have cooler CPU


Thanks for the input! :D 

m
0
l
!