Asus Crosshair iv Formula

ZakKling

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I have a Asus Crosshair iv Formula motherboard that I have had for about a year now. I am having an issue turning on the the computer. It is sticking on the CPU Q_LED. I am able to turn on the computer if I hit the power button, wait for about 15 minutes, and then hit the reset button it will turn on. But I want to be able to press the button and computer turns on.

This is my second Formula iv. I did a RMA on the first board for this problem and this one started just after I put my Rig back together. So I was wondering what I could do to turn it on.

System Specs
AMD FX 4170 (Beta BIOS) Before this cpu I had a 1100t the system didnt work with it either.
Asus Formula iv
16 gig of gskill 1330
Gigabyte 6870
XFX 6870
1000W OCZ Power Supply
OCZ 60GB SSD
2tb HDD

RIght now I only have the CPU in with the stock heat sink. Its still not passing the CPU led. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
From user nick1200 in another post for the same issue.....

"I had this problem two. I fixed it . I thought that there was only one cpu headers but there are two. I put a 6 pin into the 8 pin header and got the red light for cpu. I then had a good look and found out it was a 2 xs 4 pin header so went out and bought 2 4 pins and worked fine :) just make sure you got the right lead for the cpu header. Other wise you will get the red light for cpu. Sorry about bumping a old thread but thought id share the fix :)"

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Did you try two 4-pin connectors side by side like what Nick1200 said? If you tried using an individual 4-pin connector for both headers and still have same problem, you might try contacting ASUS support to ask them about it and then RMA it. It sounds like you might want to try a different board though if this is already your second and you're having same problem.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Is the CPU fan spinning? Is it plugged into the CPU fan header correctly? I'm just going by what I've seen in the manual and it says the CPU LED will light if fans aren't spinning or if there is a voltage problem. What about if you have only CPU/fan installed without RAM? Is the CPU_LED red?

Is this what happens to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREzFEEftqM

I read that if it's lit red, it's a voltage issue.....can you update the BIOS?

ZakKling

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
The fan is spinning and plugged in correctly. All I have installed is cpu and heat sink.
Looking at the manual my cpu led is green meaning its in the normal voltage,
but my hardware led (Poststate) is what keeps staying red and wont move to dram led

It does the same as in the video but I am able to turn my pc off.

What should the correct voltage be? and I updated to the latest one when this first started happening because I wanted to see if that would fix it.

Now I can't even get it to turn on the way I used to.

I think I am going to call ASUS tomorrow and see what they say, RMA the board and try one more time with this board

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
If the CPU LED is green, the voltage is not the issue.
I found this excerpt about the motherboard diag LED's...

"Speaking of diagnosing, instead of a POST display Crosshair IV Formula has a series of four LEDs that indicate which component is failing when the computer is not turning on"....

That tells me the CPU itself is having a problem, but since you've already RMA'd this board once you could just be having bad luck with it. Maybe see if ASUS will give you the next one up the Formula V since you've had two bad IV's.

ZakKling

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
So I found something today while doing a last bit of trouble shooting before I send off the mother board. I plugged the stock cooler into another fan port and it started spinning faster than ever. Then I plugged it back into the CPU_fan header and it was spinning really slow. Would this have something to do with it? or because I have something plugged in it shouldn't matter?

ayres48

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
i was having the same issue on that board running on an old psu i could get it runnin by flipping the heat sink loose one i replaced the psu however i never had the issue