Sign in with
Your question

Asus CG5270 Drives unrecognized

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2013 7:28:07 PM

Okay, I've been banging my head against a wall for two weeks. I got home from work one day and my computer was stuck on an autosave on Adobe Premiere that I had left open. Hard restarted it, and nothing worked. I received "primary hard drive error." Great, I figured it was fried. But I went and plugged it into a different computer and all the files were there and undamaged.

Regardless, I figured this a good time to upgrade to a SSD. Purchased one, plugged it in, still had hard drive error. Switched up power plug ins and sata cords, and got it to recognize the drive. Installed windows 7. It installed, but everything seemed sluggish. Would work for a few hours max, before the screen would freeze and have this crazy artifacting going on. Eventually, the SSD was no longer recognized either.

The drive is recognized in the BIOS, but sometimes as an IDE drive, sometimes just as "hard drive", and sometimes as M-(series of numbers). And sometimes it is not recognized at all. Figured it was a problem with SATA ports, but my DVD drive works no matter which port/cord/power supply I use it with. Still able to plug both my hdd and ssd in to a different computer and recognize and open files. Tried a different power supply by using the power adapter from my USB to Sata adapter, but that didn't work either, so I don't think it's a power issue.

Tried nearly every combination of settings in the BIOS and still nothing worked. Can use the windows 7 disk to get all the way to installation screen, but then there are no recognized drives to install to, even when the BIOS recognized a drive at boot. Used a separate SATA card plugged into pci, but even that didn't work.

I'm at wits end. Anybody know what this problem could be?
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 5:06:10 AM

First, when installing the SSD, did you remove all other hard drives? Second, did you set the SSD up in BIOS using AHCI mode?

Easiest thing to do is use process of elimination to see if the old hard drive is causing issues or SSD so try booting to the SSD without any other hard drives connected. If no issues, disconnect and then re-connect the original hard drive and try to boot. There should be nothing sluggish while using an SSD so I'd say something on the original drive is causing problems.

When you say you can plug both HDD and SSD into different computer and open files, that's not the same as booting from them, which is where the problem first came from when you rebooted and got the error on original HDD.
m
l
!