Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Suggestions for mobo, cpu, and memory combo

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2011 8:05:17 PM

My wife has a really old laptop that is very slow. She asked me to build her a a fast desktop pc. My wife is not a gamer or enthusiast. She does not do any professional work either. She is a very casual user - surfing the web, email, family photos, shopping, watching short video clips, social networking, and playing very simple games like Solitaire. My wife does not need a high end gaming or enthusiast pc.

The first thing I did was check my spare parts boxes. I have everything I need except for a motherboard, cpu, and memory.

I am looking for recommendations for inexpensive motherboard, cpu, and memory suitable for casual use. The motherboard and cpu can be either Intel or AMD. I've had good luck with both.

Here's some of the spare parts I have for the build:

OS - MS Windows 7 Pro 64

Video - XFX Radeon HD 4770 video card which was a good general purpose card when it was introduced. Although it is an old card it is more than sufficient for the intended purpose. However, I would be willing to consider one of the new cpu's with integrated graphics.

Monitor - I have a Samsung Syncmaster 220VM.

Data Storage - Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB hard drive. I also have a Kingston SATA 2 3Gb/s 96GB SSD I could install as a boot and app drive.

Power Supply - Corsair HX Series 520 watt modular power supply.

Consider it a budget build for a non-gaming senior citizen.

Best solution

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2011 12:09:04 AM

You can pretty much reuse all those for your new system. Definitely use the SSD for your boot drive and store everything else on your secondary.

You'll need a case - I recommend the Cooler Master HAF 912, but I'd also look at upgrading your video card if you can spare it - there's plenty of good GPUs that can be had for not a lot of money. I'd recommend the Radeon 6790. But the AMD Llano isn't a bad way to go if you want to save some money - it's excellent for low power PCs and HTPCs.

Try this:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $59.99
Motherboard: Asrock A55 Pro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $74.99
CPU: AMD A8-3850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $129.99
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $25.99
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw 1600MHz 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $42.99

Total: $337.99
November 26, 2011 12:15:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot to mention I have a Lian Li mid-tower case I can use. I also have an original Thermalright Ultra 120, an original Cooler Master Hyper 212, and some Scythe S-Flex & Cooler Master 120mm fans.

I also forgot about an optical drive. DVD burner should do. I don't think Blueray capability is necessary.

Originally I was thinking a dual core cpu and 4GB of memory would be enough for a non-gaming, non-enthusist rig. Most of what my wife does is on the Internet and does not require very much in the way of computing power.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2011 3:52:07 AM

That case will do perfectly fine. And you can definitely reuse the fans like the Hyper 212 - you'll just need to buy new thermal compound and make sure you have the proper mounting brackets.

Any ~$20 optical drive will do. But stay away from the bulk Asus burners - I had one nearly explode on me. Lite On, Sony, LG - any of those should do just fine.

But if I were you I'd take a good look at the Llano - it should be perfect for what you need it to do. If not then go with an Intel Core i3-2100 and Intel P67 motherboard - that should run you around $250 - $270.
m
l
November 27, 2011 10:20:08 PM

I have IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound. It works extremely well with the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

I already noticed the Asus bulk burners had an unusually large number of customer complaints at newegg.

I got the AMD 3850 OEM version yesterday afternoon. Newegg is having a Lano sale - 15% off AMD Lano APU's with promo code AMDAPUBF15. That brought the price down to $114.74. I think the sale price is good until November 30th.

I spent a a little extra on a motherboard. I bumped it up to an ASRock A75 EXTREME6 FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) ATX motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory got interesting. I found another sale and promo code for memory but when I entered the code I got a message that I couldn't stack promo codes. I deleted the item. Later I went back and ordered the memory seperately. The promo code worked.

I am particularly interested to find out how good the integrated video is.

m
l
November 29, 2011 3:40:16 PM

Quote:
I have IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound. It works extremely well with the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Man you have a lot of quality components. I'm really curious as to what happened to your old build now. Motherboard died? Or something else? :lol: 

Quote:
I already noticed the Asus bulk burners had an unusually large number of customer complaints at newegg.

Yeah I'd stay away from them - I like the Lite On or Plextor burners so much better. Plextors are a bit more but they're some of the fastest drives on the market. I've been using Plextor drives since I got my first Gateway back in '97.

Quote:
I got the AMD 3850 OEM version yesterday afternoon. Newegg is having a Lano sale - 15% off AMD Lano APU's with promo code AMDAPUBF15. That brought the price down to $114.74. I think the sale price is good until November 30th.

I spent a a little extra on a motherboard. I bumped it up to an ASRock A75 EXTREME6 FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) ATX motherboard

Good choices - I wanted to get the 3850 for an HTPC I was putting together but it was going to be way out of my price range, so I used an old Core 2 Duo build instead.

Quote:
Memory got interesting. I found another sale and promo code for memory but when I entered the code I got a message that I couldn't stack promo codes. I deleted the item. Later I went back and ordered the memory seperately. The promo code worked.

Yeah I've noticed Newegg tends to be a bit picky when it comes to promo codes. I had to get a new Windows license when I rebuilt my workstation and I tried to order it using the code to get 20% off, then I wound up having to cancel the order and re-order it separately to get the discount.

Quote:
I am particularly interested to find out how good the integrated video is.

The integrated video is equivalent to a Radeon 6670 - it's a pretty decent GPU in its' own right. It'll handle most of everything that you'll be using it for - internet/movies/etc.
m
l
November 29, 2011 6:04:14 PM

I am not new to computers or Tom's Hardware. Bought my first pc in 1985 - a genuine IBM pc. I've been upgrading and building ever since. I also do case mods and build pc's for others - mostly friends, neighbors, and relatives. That's why I have a lot of parts. I got married 4 months ago. My wife has a really old Toshiba laptop that is very slow - Windows Vista, 2GB memory, and really slow cpu & hard drive. She wanted a fast desktop pc like mine. Unfortunately my personal rig cost quite a bit. I use it for some professional work that I still do.

When I saw what my wife actually did with her laptop I knew she did not need a high end pc or even a mid-level pc. I just wanted to see what mobo, cpu, and memory combo would be sufficient for her without costing too much.
m
l
November 29, 2011 8:46:21 PM

Quote:
I am not new to computers or Tom's Hardware. Bought my first pc in 1985 - a genuine IBM pc. I've been upgrading and building ever since. I also do case mods and build pc's for others - mostly friends, neighbors, and relatives. That's why I have a lot of parts. I got married 4 months ago. My wife has a really old Toshiba laptop that is very slow - Windows Vista, 2GB memory, and really slow cpu & hard drive. She wanted a fast desktop pc like mine. Unfortunately my personal rig cost quite a bit. I use it for some professional work that I still do.

Well hey if you got all the leftover components - why not? I do that all the time. My workstation is using a leftover DVD burner, hard drive, video card, PSU, monitor, mouse/keyboard - and the external DVD burner that I've had like forever.

My HTPC build that I use is all old components except for a new case and PSU.
m
l
December 2, 2011 6:45:16 PM

System is up and running. Everything works. Integrated graphics and video is acceptable. Wife is happy with her new rig.
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:51:25 PM

Best answer selected by JohnnyLucky.
m
l
!