Is my PSU broken????

davethedavedave

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
PSU issues

I have been having a few issues powering on my system over the last few days and I am now fairly certain that it is my PSU that is causing the problem, however I could use a second opinion.

The problem is as follows.

My PC powers on but no signal is been received by the screen. However if I restart it enough I eventually get the screen to show a signal.

When I do get my computer started its no longer than 1 – 2 hours before it crashes and restarts it self without warning.

When my computer is running everything is working fine, so I guess that my CPU, RAM etc etc is working fine.

The only odd things I have noticed is that it wont power on like I have said above and also that the hard drive makes a strange noise. Kinda sounds like the sound you get when a wire is been hit lightly by a fan. However if I tap my HDD very gentle it stops making that noise for a few minutes. So I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. Or if I just haven’t noticed it till now.

The PSU I do have is not a very good quality one, so it maybe the reason why my pc wont start correctly. Or maybe I am having some sort of strange HDD error?

I have unplugged various bits and swapped things around, however this seems to have no effect.
I don’t have access to a volt metre so I cant test my PSU.

I do have a new MOBO ready to be installed, but I don’t really want to put it in if my PSU is acting up. However if anyone thinks my current (old) mobo is causing the problems then maybe I should change it now and not get a new PSU?

It really sounds like your HDD is failing...whether the PSU is failing too is another issue but right now I'm leaning towards no. Have you checked your system event logs to see what error is causing the shutdowns? Disabled the auto-shutdown/reboot function in Windows...this will allow you to get the BSOD, record/google the error. What operating system?
Instructions for modifying reboot behavior in Win7:
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click Advanced system settings.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

Have you recently done hardware upgrades or updated drivers?

davethedavedave

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

I am running win 7 64 bit, I have not done any hardware or software changes that I am aware of. It would appear that this seems to have come about its self.

I might instal my new mobo and reinstall windows on a different HDD and see if that makes a change. Failing that, I think I will install a new PSU.

Failing that I think I might throw my computer out the window.

If you don't see anything on the display during POST (Power On Self Test) then it's not the hard disk drive. You should see something on the screen or even hear a single beep if POST was OK. This happens before the hard disk drive is even accessed.

The most likely problem component is the power supply unit.

davethedavedave

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello again everyone

after much testing a swapping I seem to have solved the problem. At least temporary.

I have installed my new MOBO, and windows didnt even need reinstalling. I just installed the new mobo drivers and everything worked great.

I removed a stick of a RAM and now my computer boots fine everytime, which I find very odd. When computer dosnt boot correctly I have noticed that not all the LED's light up on my new MOBO. So it would seem the RAM is the problem here.

The RAM i am using is G skills Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=243

I noticed that AMD MOBO's dont seem to appear on its qualified list. Do you think this might be the problem? Because untill very recently it was working fine with my last AMD MOBO, which is why I am confused......

Maybe time for new RAM????

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Para,

I'm wondering what your thought process is for checking the RAM first, it appears you were correct and the RAM was nowhere on my radar?

Dry