Sign in with
Your question

Maybe it\'s time for an upgrade??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2011 9:25:26 AM

I recently downloaded Deus Ex, and have been enjoying the game; however i've been getting really frustrated with the low framerate (ie 1680x1050 resolution, 20-30 FPS, GPU 90+ degC).

I'm getting fed up with the sloppy performance where games are just not performing as they used to (damn Moore's law..). Maybe it's time for an upgrade?? I was hoping someone could help me out and point me in the right direction...

System specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-2310
MOBO: Asus P8P67 LE
Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM (Kingston, clocked 667 MHz)
Graphics Card: 2x Gigabyte 1G HD4850 in CF (the quiet/passive cooled ones)
Power Supply Antec 850 W

I've been thinking about getting one of the new 2GB Radeon HD6950 cards (specifically the Sapphire TOXIC edition), as they look pretty awesome, but am not certain about compatibility with my system..

Any recommendations/helpful advice much appreciated??

Thanks in advance.

More about : time upgrade

September 29, 2011 9:48:20 AM

Your motherboard is quite a new one...
And your deision to go for 2GB Radeon HD6950 is also obvious.
It will support your motherboard, and PSU is also sufficient unless you try to Crossfire..!! Go for it.
Cheers..!!
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2011 9:53:56 AM

yeah something like the 6950 or 6970 would be a good choice,

rest of ur system is looking good tho.
Related resources
September 29, 2011 9:55:41 AM

Yeah I think what greghome is saying about the really high temperatures is right.
The passive cooling doesn't seem to be doing its job properly and the card might be underclocking to cool down, which is killing the performance.
Considering these are in CrossFire on a motherboard where there is 1-2cm gap between the cards (4850 is dual slot I assume?) plus the quieter passive cooling, an overheating problem sounds likely.
September 29, 2011 2:27:12 PM

Thanks guys for your quick feedback.

I just did a quick play of MW2 at 1920x1200 with framerate averaging around 32 FPS through the market. Hottest temp (mem) around 88 degC.

I've always found these cards have run pretty hot (ie 70-80), and I have plenty of ventilation (4 fans to the case excluding CPU). I'm pretty certain I remember reading somewhere that these cards typically run hot and are meant to be good to around 110C??

Been thinking about the upgrade as the 4850's are getting pretty old,and they just aint cuttin the mustard with the newer titles (I really wanna play BF2 and MW3 on decent specs with decent FPS).

I'd be really dissapointed to cough up $320 AUD for only a marginal improvement, and would've expected more given the cards in my case are around 3yrs old now.
September 29, 2011 3:58:18 PM

eimz said:
Thanks guys for your quick feedback.

I just did a quick play of MW2 at 1920x1200 with framerate averaging around 32 FPS through the market. Hottest temp (mem) around 88 degC.

I've always found these cards have run pretty hot (ie 70-80), and I have plenty of ventilation (4 fans to the case excluding CPU). I'm pretty certain I remember reading somewhere that these cards typically run hot and are meant to be good to around 110C??

Been thinking about the upgrade as the 4850's are getting pretty old,and they just aint cuttin the mustard with the newer titles (I really wanna play BF2 and MW3 on decent specs with decent FPS).

I'd be really dissapointed to cough up $320 AUD for only a marginal improvement, and would've expected more given the cards in my case are around 3yrs old now.

I don't where you got the idea that those cards were supposed to run that hot. Here is a test with temps while running 3Dmark:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Note that the temp only hit a max of 61c under load. If your cards are hitting 70-80c and up to 90c+, its probable that they are throttling in an effort to save themselves. I'd say that you definitely have some cooling problems. Going to a single card may solve the problem, as its likely your passive cards are close enough together that they can't cool properly.
!