Can I mix memory in the same PC?

NotSoHonestAbe

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I have 4GB (2x2GB) of Patriot Sector5 Edition ram, and I also have 8GB of Kingston HyperX Black (2x4GB). Can I put the 2 dimms of the Kingston ram on the 2 empty slots on my motherboard so I would 4GB of Patriot memory and 8gb of Kingston Memory in the same PC? Would that work?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It's possible, but it's up in the air on if it works or not. It won't blow up your mobo or anything so it won't hurt to try it. Use one channel for one set and the other channel for the other.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Thats not true at all dark.

I think you're misunderstanding how it would work.

You would still end up with 12gb of ram it would just end up running at the slowest ram speed.

The reason sometimes this don't work and cause other issues is ram timings and things of that nature, personally I would try both if everything worked fine great if not I would simply just stick with the kingston obviously.

NotSoHonestAbe

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Would the 12GB at a slow speed be better than the 4GB of ram at the normal speed? For complicated reasons, putting just the kingston ram in isn't an option at the moment.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't see how it would be. More then not more ram is usually better. Speed does play some what of a part but I don't see it making up for 8gb of loss. That is assuming it works at all.

Not only are you using different sizes you're using different manufacturers, and it can turn into a big headache trying to get something like that to work. I've had some work just fine, I've had some were it just became where it wasn't worth the headache.