action replay thingies

anyone got one? the max evo or whatever it's called? My son, who has
no patience, was messing with our very old xplorer disc trying to put
some stuff on his GT4 but it failed every time (version 1!) and we
were looking around, saw that this evo thing offers lots of stuff
including making the ps2 region free etc, so it would be nice to know
if anyone has good or bad experiences of them.

Thanks

--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>anyone got one? the max evo or whatever it's called? My son, who has
>no patience, was messing with our very old xplorer disc trying to put
>some stuff on his GT4 but it failed every time (version 1!) and we
>were looking around, saw that this evo thing offers lots of stuff
>including making the ps2 region free etc, so it would be nice to know
>if anyone has good or bad experiences of them.

I have one and it works fine. Be aware though that the region free thingy
is only for DVD's and not games.

A follow up question then:

I have the Action Max EVO with Flash Drive stick (to paraphrase), and for
the life of me, cannot get the cheat codes to successfully move to a memory
card (it always shows as a corrupt file, and is not recognized). It works
for using others' saves, but so far, no luck with the actual cheat codes for
games.

Help?

"Mark Lawrence" <lawrence.4@osu.edu> wrote in message
>A follow up question then:
>
> I have the Action Max EVO with Flash Drive stick (to paraphrase), and for
> the life of me, cannot get the cheat codes to successfully move to a
> memory
> card (it always shows as a corrupt file, and is not recognized). It works
> for using others' saves, but so far, no luck with the actual cheat codes
> for
> games.

hmm not sure about that one. Maybe you have a corrupt memory card.
When you get into the Max software it firsts asks you what is the master
device for which I think you choose the usb key. Then you want to copy the
cheat database to the memory card so you choose the card from the slot.
Although I never worked out why it chose to copy to the normal memory card
and not the AR dongle.

You bring up some events that I did not see. Let me reiterate. I have the
package that has one disk that allows me to download cheats and saves from
the "Codejunkies" site to my PC, then transfer the codes to the flash stick.
Then, with another CD, my PS2 processes the transfer from the stick to the
memory card. The PS2 software has transfer and decompression functions, so
I can decompact on the stick or the card. But no matter what I do, the file
is always corrupt. The card I have tried to use has other game saves from
regular gameplay, and they function normally. The documentation is rather
weak (mostly describing using a broadband connection from the PS2 for
downloading the codes via the console, bypassing the PC.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'm grateful.

> "Mark Lawrence" <lawrence.4@osu.edu> wrote in message
> >A follow up question then:
> >
> > I have the Action Max EVO with Flash Drive stick (to paraphrase), and
for
> > the life of me, cannot get the cheat codes to successfully move to a
> > memory
> > card (it always shows as a corrupt file, and is not recognized). It
works
> > for using others' saves, but so far, no luck with the actual cheat codes
> > for
> > games.
>
> hmm not sure about that one. Maybe you have a corrupt memory card.
> When you get into the Max software it firsts asks you what is the master
> device for which I think you choose the usb key. Then you want to copy
the
> cheat database to the memory card so you choose the card from the slot.
> Although I never worked out why it chose to copy to the normal memory card
> and not the AR dongle.

Upon further retrospection, I do believe you choose the source for data
first (although not worded as "master device"). I follow all steps, and the
file is corrupted. I have yet to actually try it out on a different memory
card. Perhaps if I need a separate memory card, formatted by the Action Max
software, the codes on the card may actually be readable. I will give that
a try in the interim. But as before, any and all ideas are welcome.

Beck wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >anyone got one? the max evo or whatever it's called? My son, who has
> >no patience, was messing with our very old xplorer disc trying to put
> >some stuff on his GT4 but it failed every time (version 1!) and we
> >were looking around, saw that this evo thing offers lots of stuff
> >including making the ps2 region free etc, so it would be nice to know
> >if anyone has good or bad experiences of them.
>
> I have one and it works fine. Be aware though that the region free thingy
> is only for DVD's and not games.

better than nowt :O) Thanks mate
--

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> You bring up some events that I did not see. Let me reiterate. I have the
> package that has one disk that allows me to download cheats and saves from
> the "Codejunkies" site to my PC, then transfer the codes to the flash stick.
> Then, with another CD, my PS2 processes the transfer from the stick to the
> memory card. The PS2 software has transfer and decompression functions, so
> I can decompact on the stick or the card. But no matter what I do, the file
> is always corrupt. The card I have tried to use has other game saves from
> regular gameplay, and they function normally. The documentation is rather
> weak (mostly describing using a broadband connection from the PS2 for
> downloading the codes via the console, bypassing the PC.
>
> If anyone has any other thoughts, I'm grateful.

Could it be the compression? I haven't used one but compression isn't
always a good thing