GTX 460 & Inter-Tech 500W PSU

G

Hello!

Today I bought a new GIGABYTE GTX 460 video card. Unfortunately, I can't enjoy it quite yet. My PC has Inter-Tech 500W PSU, with only one PCI-E connector, while GTX 460 needs two. So the question is, should I get an entirely new PSU or will PCI adapter be enough?

Thank you.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
That PSU is not even ATX rated, which entails a lot of things such as cable connections, power efficiency and a bunch of electrical specs. too complicated to go into here. You should hace gotten some adaptor cables with the video card. Use one of those along with the existing single 6-pin connector. It will probably work until you get a new power supply. A GTX 460 uses about 165Watts just in idle mode and about 288 W Max load. You also have to consider your CPU, HDD, fans and any other power sucking parts on your computer. You need an 80+ preferably 80+ Bronze certified PSU of at least 500 Watts from the info I have.
Just because your PSU says 500 Watts doesn't make it so. It could be 350 or even 300W having high levels of noise and no power spike tolerance meaning possible catastrophic failure of the PSU or worse, anything connected to it.

G

Thank you for your help. I bought a new PSU, problem fixed.

ufc4836

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

You make me understand. Great post of helping me. You helped me so much.