I am having SERIOUS Memory problems here GOD DAMN!

G

Listen people, please help me this is my issue
AMD Duron 800
Gigabyte 7zm
128-micron pc133 memory
Windows 98 / windows ME

I am having serious""" memory problems here, as soon as i get into windows i have LOW LOW LOW physical memory free im talking with nothing open nothing loaded on the system tray nothing 30 megs free , open icq winamp drops to 10 mb free ie5 or adobe boom 0 free, windows is running on virtual memory, say 3 hours eventually i will have no virtual memory free either something is eating it away.
I have norton 2000 i scanned for viruses -none..
I know what ur all thinking
us msconfig see what i have loading up 100% nothing i have 2 icons beside the click sound and icq nothing to hefty
windows works fine for a few hours even with low low memory or 0 memory free and using virtual but after a while i click start and it fades away no memory free.
What causes this? I assumed it was a bad install of 98 as i just upgraded last week, i reinstalled same thing, i tried win me same thing, i have been running 98 on many systems for years even with 64 megs of ram it never was sucked this badly dry.
Norton has a sys diagnose i tested the memory says it passed... any ideas? im dying here... and u can see im not overloading my system
windows does find the whole 128 of it it does work no errors
just windows is sucking the life from it!

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have norton utilities 2000, right? Use System Information, and under the memory tab, see what's eating all your memory up. It's probably vcache. It'll use up all you're remaining free memory, but it's dynamic, so when you load up something else, it'll let go of some of that memory so the app you're running can use it.

G

So low memory is normal??

Hmm
See i tend to beleive that because even with 0k free of physical memory i can open say adobe and some stuff fine
but the concern was..... After time even with little things open my resources drop to like 4% free very very low
and things in windows start to fade away
why is this

G

I like the way you phrased the subject line. I must have laughed for a full half minute! (not laughing at your situation, just the phrasing)

I'm no expert in this area but it sounds to me like you've got a bad driver or some other program going rampant. Check your startup, see if anything has planted itself there and remove it (unless it's something you want of course). What components do you have in the system, and have you updated the drivers for them? I would try process of elimination by either disabling one driver at a time or removing one device at a time (and hoping windows doesn't load the driver for them after their gone).

Hope this helps narrow things down a bit.

G

Thanks man
hehe i didnt intend for it to be funny at the time
but i guess it is hehe
I guess ill try that
i dont really have anything loaded nothing really but i will try updaing all my drivers etc.. maybe that will help
thanks for ur help
ill keep this posted on my progress
al

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your resources to 4%, or free memory to 4%? I don't mean to be skeptical, but usually, when resources go down below 50%, things start to go crazy, like the fonts change, and things like that, and usually you start to get GPF's and such, at least that's been my experience. I haven't seen these kinds of problems with W98/Me, but I have with the original W95 and most definitely with Windows 3.1.

G

my ram is low free like 0k free it says ot like 1 megg free but it says my resources are 4% free system resources

ive even seen it say - 6% minus 6! percent free...

Steange my system run fine with 20% resurces free i know what u mean about ,like under 50% but...
mine has problems when it hits like 4% or less.
Its very strange

TRENDING THREADS