I3-2120 versus i5-2500k

pterygoideus

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,
I am looking to get a desktop computer for low end gaming (Starcraft 2 is probably the most demanding game I play on better settings), Photoshop, and very low power 3D modelling (from CT data).

A friend gave me a GTS 450 (I know it's not very good) and 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR3 RAM, so I've been trying to build a system that's relatively in line with that, with the intent of upgrading the graphics card later down the road. I've been looking at the i3-2120 and the i5-2500. I'd like to reasonably be set for the next 3-4 years without much need to upgrade (aside from getting a better GPU later this year), is it better to just go ahead and get a i5-2500 now (only a $100 difference), or get the lower end CPU and keep saving up for an i7 (to get later this year)?

This is the motherboard I was thinking about getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616

Right now, I'm working off a Dell 1735 laptop and able to do most of my 3d modelling just fine, so I'm guessing for all intents and purposes, my demands are not very high.

I'm just trying to figure out how to optimize my purchases now and not screw myself over for later.

Solution
Just go with the 2500k now, and not have to spend more money in the long run. Because if you buy a low end CPU now, you're going to wish you had splurged on the better CPU first rather than buying a good one later, it's also going to save you money. Don't save up and get the i7 either, it's not that big of an improvement over the 2500k, unless you get like a 3960x but that is an insane money hole.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Just go with the 2500k now, and not have to spend more money in the long run. Because if you buy a low end CPU now, you're going to wish you had splurged on the better CPU first rather than buying a good one later, it's also going to save you money. Don't save up and get the i7 either, it's not that big of an improvement over the 2500k, unless you get like a 3960x but that is an insane money hole.

Solution

pterygoideus

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

Dear cyansnow,

thanks for your rapid response, this helped me make my decision.