Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dv9000 Fan Cable

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2012 7:11:05 PM

Hello,
I have a dv9000 so it is no surprise that I have an overheating issue.

My GPU chipset has overheated twice now. So after I fixed it the second time I also put in 2 copper shims, one on the GPU and the other on the Southbridge.

At idle with the fan running, my temps are: CPU=25 / GPU=45 which is ok. But when the fan goes off the temps climb to: CPU=54 / GPU=70.

Basically I want to keep the fan on all the time, I don't care if it is loud. I have heard that if you cut one of the fan cables that will keep it on, but which one?

There are 4 cables: Red / White / Black / Yellow

I have tried SpeedFan which was useless since it doesn't see my fan. I also tried HP CoolSense but it won't install even after I installed the HP Support Assistant. It claims there is something wrong with the install file even though I downloaded it from multiple sites starting with HP's website themselves.

Thank You for all your help.

More about : dv9000 fan cable

February 27, 2012 7:35:50 PM

Nethriel12 said:
Hello,

Basically I want to keep the fan on all the time, I don't care if it is loud. I have heard that if you cut one of the fan cables that will keep it on, but which one?

There are 4 cables: Red / White / Black / Yellow

Thank You for all your help.

I can't speak for the specific fan you are using, I assume a CPU fan? Usually with 4 pin PWM fans, the colors are as follows: Black - Ground, Yellow - Power (12V), Green (Sensor), Blue (Control). I think two pulses are supposed to fire per fan revolution.

So I've never heard what you are talking about, but its not going to be the power or ground wires. You have a yellow and red where usually they are blue and green, so yours might have different colors completely. Black is probably still ground, but red could be power in your case.

In any case, I can't see how cutting any would give you a constant full power. Why can't you configure the fan in your BIOS settings under duty mode and set it to 100%?

Hope this helps...
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:49:29 PM

Well I those are the colours my fan has. I read on another forum where cutting one of the cables kept it at full blast.

http://mayohardware.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-kills-hp-...
(Ctrl+F and type in "shim", it is the second find)

I have checked in the BIOS after updating it and there is nothing in there about any kind of fan control. Its like HP wants these to overheat.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 27, 2012 8:07:04 PM

Nethriel12 said:
Well I those are the colours my fan has. I read on another forum where cutting one of the cables kept it at full blast.

http://mayohardware.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-kills-hp-...
(Ctrl+F and type in "shim", it is the second find)

I have checked in the BIOS after updating it and there is nothing in there about any kind of fan control. Its like HP wants these to overheat.

One of the many reasons to never buy a pre-built PC.

Try looking at this page, http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_(CPU)_4_Pin_Fan , and see if you can figure out what you have. I know you won't cut the power (obvious) and if you cut the sensor you should get a CPU fan failure signal. Ground doesn't make sense. So that leaves the control signal to cut.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_control the control signal is manufacture dependent so what works for him doesn't mean it will for you. If you want, cut the control wire, and worst case it doesn't work at full speed and all you have to do is splice it back together. I'd suggest trying to undo it from the wire harness itself in a way you can connect the wire without having to "cut" anything. Just disconnect it.
February 27, 2012 10:10:47 PM

Oh ok, well I don't know much when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just figured if they put this fan with these cables in this model of dv9000 then they did the same in the others. I definitely don't have any blue or green cables, I do have an Intel board if that is any help.

The wire harness is a real pain so I might just start cutting cables, I'll start with the yellow :p 

Thanks again, I appreciate it!
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:40:55 PM

Good luck, use the pin-out locations from one of the links I sent you to make your decision rather than color. The pin-outs should be the same on any standard motherboard. Like I said, worst case you splice the cables back together and put a little electrical tape on it. But it's just a fan so no big deal if you have to replace.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:16:13 PM

So I tested it with a fan from a dead HP G61 which had the same coloured pins as mine. I hooked it up externally and spliced the yellow cable and it turned out to be the sensor. : P

So I taped it up and spliced the white and it worked, the fan stayed on a full speed. But while I was testing it, my graphics chipset overheated again since I just had the G61 fan plugged it hanging from my board. So after I fixed that I cut the white wire on my fan and it worked.

My temps now idle at: CPU=24c / GPU=45c
Even putting load on it never sends my CPU over 38c or my GPU over 50c.

My computer is noticeably nosier but I don't care, it is nice and cool. :) 
Thank you again for your help and quick replies, I really appreciate it.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:38:22 PM

Nethriel12 said:

My computer is noticeably nosier but I don't care, it is nice and cool. :) 
Thank you again for your help and quick replies, I really appreciate it.

Glad you were successful. I love it when a plan comes together.
m
l
March 8, 2012 3:03:43 AM

Best answer selected by Nethriel12.
m
l
!