Building a giant desknote, out of desktop components

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
What I want: A portable computer that can handle games and Autodesk with at least 20 minutes of battery time. One of my favorite games is SimCity 4, it is extremely heavy on CPU and only supports one core. An Intel HD 2000 GPU could handle the graphics.

Oh, and OCing. A little for GPU, but at least an extra 1 GHz for the CPU.

As I read some reviews on Micro-ATX motherboards and accidentally came across PCI-E cables, I looked at my laptop.

Assuming I didn't mind the thickness and the weight of the computer, would it be possible to cram the components in a box that's no more than 3 cm tall? I think the motherboard would fit if it had only one or two PCI port and two RAM slots.

For the battery, the easiest way of implementing it is attaching the PSU and the monitor to a UPS power strip. The only problem is determining when I should turn off the computer before the UPS is drained.

Speaking of the monitor, should I strip the case and place it in a box to make it match with the rest of the giant desknote? Or is that too risky?

Cooling would be a large issue, especially when I plan on OCing the computer. A standard CPU cooling system won't fit as I don't think many of them meant for i5s and i7s are shorter than 3cm.

However, could a GPU's heatsink fit? I could strip a Radeon 6950's stock heatsink, lock it onto the CPU with the usage of springs and buy an aftermarket heatsink (maybe SCS3 HD6850's massive heatsink) for the GPU. The 6950's heatsink should be more than sufficient as the GPU has a TDP max of 200 W, while an i5 2500k, even when OCed, would come nowhere close to that.

Then the fans' placement. I think they would perform better if they sucked in air from the bottom and vent it out the back and side. To do that, the motherboard would be flipped upside down.

Last of all, where is the PSU is going to go?

Basic concept:
computerpw.jpg

Some might wonder, "Why not build a standard desktop, or buy a desknote?"

Well, where's the fun in building a standard desktop or buying a desktnote?