Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BFBC2 with a GTX460 - seems baddd

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 29, 2011 6:33:10 PM

I started playing BFBC2 today and it seems that my PC struggles to handle it fine . The framerates as suggested by the FRAPS turns out to be varying from 45-60 ( of course Vsync is on ) and hovering around the 50 FPS mark .
Settings all cranked high with 4AA @ res :1360x768

Lets go over my PC specs

C2Q Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Intel DG35EC ( PCIe Gen1.1x16 slot )
ASUS ENGTX 460 TOP DirectCU 1 GIG (Forceware 280.26)
Seagate 160 GB HD
4GB Dynet DDR2 @ 800MHz
PSU : 600W (12V x 42 A )
Windows 7 32 bit

Is there an issue with my GPU ? I'm basically down to this question considering my monitor's res to be too low and i thought i could get some eye candy visuals . But the scenario seems to be different and i shouln't even bother going for a GTX460 SLI setup for the new rig that im planning to build later this year .

Or , could it be a possible CPU bottleneck ? I've heard from guys that CPU does most of the work at lower resolutions and the lower clockspeeds of my CPU doesn't help this cause either .

P.S : Dirt3 does around 55 FPS with 4AA if that helps

Please throw me some light on this issue .

With regards ,
Scapegoat_44

More about : bfbc2 gtx460 baddd

October 1, 2011 8:20:34 AM

At 1080p with max settings, BFBC2 with a GTX 460 averages at 30FPS. Your current frame rate is fine.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2011 8:30:01 AM

What exactly is "baddd" about 45-60 fps and why do you have vsync on? Can your monitor even display over 60 fps?
m
0
l
October 1, 2011 8:31:47 AM

AbdullahG said:
At 1080p with max settings, BFBC2 with a GTX 460 averages at 30FPS. Your current frame rate is fine.


Thanks dud , i was a bit worried :) 
m
0
l
October 1, 2011 8:41:29 AM

jyjjy said:
What exactly is "baddd" about 45-60 fps and why do you have vsync on? Can your monitor even display over 60 fps?


I had a misconception that i would be getting 60fps (avg) with settings all cranked up at such a low resolution and it did not turn out to be so . So i thought i had some problem with the 460 and i could use some expert opinion .
Will my rig average only 50fps ??

And without Vsync i experience screen tearing , since my monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz . Or, should i turn off that the Vsync ?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2011 8:49:41 AM

Screen tearing occurs when the frame rate is higher than your monitor can display. If you are maxing out your monitors ability to even keep up with the performance of your card to the point where you need to use Vsync then complaining about the performance just seems weird to me. That said your frame rates probably would be higher if you had a more capable processor.
m
0
l
October 1, 2011 8:59:15 AM

jyjjy said:
Screen tearing occurs when the frame rate is higher than your monitor can display. If you are maxing out your monitors ability to even keep up with the performance of your card to the point where you need to use Vsync then complaining about the performance just seems weird to me. That said your frame rates probably would be higher if you had a more capable processor.


You've probably misunderstood my statement . The thing is sometimes it pulls away to 70's and then drops to 40's without Vsync . But it hovers around the 50fps mark with Vsync dropping as low as 40fps . I jus found this to be weird since PES11 gives me a constant 60fps with Vsync.

GTX460 TOP + Q8200 = A possibe CPU bottleneck ??
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2011 9:43:40 AM

Yes, especially at low resolutions a 2.33ghz CPU, even a quad, will limit a card like the GTX 460. It's a shame you got an Intel motherboard as those almost always lack overclocking options. Otherwise that processor could easily go up another ghz with decent cooling.
m
0
l
October 1, 2011 12:17:16 PM

jyjjy said:
Yes, especially at low resolutions a 2.33ghz CPU, even a quad, will limit a card like the GTX 460. It's a shame you got an Intel motherboard as those almost always lack overclocking options. Otherwise that processor could easily go up another ghz with decent cooling.


Mate , this was built some 3 years back when the Core2Quad had just stepped in the Indian soil . And , i still remember i had no other choice other than getting a Intel DG35EC or DG31PR back then . When it comes to computer hardware i can pretty much say , quote : India sucks to the core .

I've planned to built a new rig , but the hefty price tags that the components bear over here are holding me from building one sooner .

My GPU does reach 66'C when playing BFBC2 , is that fine ??

Thanks man .
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2011 12:57:16 PM

66C is a bit high but not high enough to worry. If it starts getting into the 70s consider getting a better fan/heatsink.
m
0
l
!