Solved

Gutting a Alienware x51 for cpu (only 150$)

Hello Toms,

Is it possible to take the cpu out of a Alienware X51 and use it for another build? I am asking this because of this ad:

"IF IT DOES NOT SELL FOR $150+ TODAY IT IS GOING TO THE PAWN SHOP!!!!

Hey, I have a brand new, never used, Alienware X51 desktop.
The mother board was defective on delivery. (I know this because I had a tech guy took at it for me)
It is not under warranty. (only because Dell is replacing it free and not asking for this one back due to the problems I went through to get them to replace it.)
I'm asking $150 for it.
A motherboard for it costs around $150 after taxes and shipping.
The comp retails at $800 after taxes.

SPECS:

Processor

Intel® Core™ i3-2120 processor (3MB Cache, 3.3GHz, with Hyper-Threading Technology)
Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Memory3
4GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive
1000GB3 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Video Card
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
Optical Drive
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)"

I figure I can use the cpu and hard drive and then complete a mid tower build using other parts from this computer. I just want to make sure that this would be possible.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gutting alienware only
  1. yes you can take out the CPU and use it on another build as long as the new motherboard supports it.
  2. Ok i was thinking of using an asrock extreme3 gen3. Would this work well? I know I will need a new case and I will also be upgrading the psu, gpu and ram (later).
    Thanks for your relply
  3. Best answer
    yep that mobo will work. it supports:

CPU Type Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155)

edit: oh yea do NOT buy a cheap power supply. i once bought a cheap power supply and it blew up taking out everything except my hard drive
  4. OK thanks, I am going to get a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650. Thanks for your help
  5. Best answer selected by abram_lee.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Alienware