Canon Standard Lenses

I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the standard
50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in 35mm SLRs.

Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.

What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4? Is
the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the results
better when printing large?
6 answers Last reply
More about canon standard lenses

    measekite wrote:
    > I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the
    standard
    > 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in 35mm
    SLRs.

    > Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.
    >
    > What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4?
    Is
    > the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the
    results
    > better when printing large?

    I'd suggest try to use a fixed focal length lens before you buy one. I
    have a 50mm and a 200mm - both bought with a lot of enthusiasm. But I
    found them to be pretty limiting so now they mostly stay home :(

    As for the Canon 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4, this should answer most of your
    questions:
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

    - Siddhartha

    Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
    everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
    open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
    plan to buy that one.

    measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:

    > I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the
    > standard 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in
    > 35mm SLRs.

    > Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.

    Yes.

    > What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4?
    > Is the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the
    > results better when printing large?

    Cost. Some prefer the Boken on the 1.4.

    Your printing gear will probably eat any difference between the two
    unless it is in VERY good hands.

    To get as good a zoom will cost you more than your total spend on body
    and lens.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    newsbirdie2@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
    > everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
    > open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
    > plan to buy that one.

    What do you mean by "Open the aperture".
    How can you open the aperture of the f1.8 lens any more than 1.8?

    Bob Williams <mytbobnospam@cox.net> writes:
    > > Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
    > > everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
    > > open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
    > > plan to buy that one.
    >
    > What do you mean by "Open the aperture".
    > How can you open the aperture of the f1.8 lens any more than 1.8?

    I think it means close down the aperture.

Photo Canon Cameras Product