Canon Standard Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the standard
50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in 35mm SLRs.

Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.

What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4? Is
the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the results
better when printing large?

measekite wrote:
> I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the
standard
> 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in 35mm
SLRs.

> Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.
>
> What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4?
Is
> the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the
results
> better when printing large?

I'd suggest try to use a fixed focal length lens before you buy one. I
have a 50mm and a 200mm - both bought with a lot of enthusiasm. But I
found them to be pretty limiting so now they mostly stay home :(

As for the Canon 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4, this should answer most of your
questions:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

- Siddhartha

Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
plan to buy that one.

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am thinking about a Canon DRXT or D20. I understand that the
> standard 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens and is eqv to 85mm in
> 35mm SLRs.

> Do these lenses work with all of the features of these cameras.

Yes.

> What is the difference, other than speed, between the 1.8 and 1.4?
> Is the 1.4 sharper? Is is worth the difference in price? Are the
> results better when printing large?

Cost. Some prefer the Boken on the 1.4.

Your printing gear will probably eat any difference between the two
unless it is in VERY good hands.

To get as good a zoom will cost you more than your total spend on body
and lens.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

newsbirdie2@hotmail.com wrote:
> Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
> everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
> open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
> plan to buy that one.

What do you mean by "Open the aperture".
How can you open the aperture of the f1.8 lens any more than 1.8?

Bob Williams <mytbobnospam@cox.net> writes:
> > Read the reviews at FredMiranda's site. From everything I've read,
> > everyone loves the 1.4, it is sharper. The 1.8 is soft unless you
> > open up the aperature. I think the 1.4 is worth the extra money and
> > plan to buy that one.
>
> What do you mean by "Open the aperture".
> How can you open the aperture of the f1.8 lens any more than 1.8?

I think it means close down the aperture.