Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k build - Did I do this right?

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2011 4:51:52 AM

Yes another i5 2500k build...nothing new here. I just want some feedback whether my parts look good. Just a Game Machine for BF3, web browsing, and some picture or video editing of family stuff. Plan is to eventually go SLI when needed as the only eventual upgrade. I usually don't upgrade at all...I prefer to build a new system every 3 to 4 years but I wanted to use SLI as the room to get an extra year or so on it. Does this set up allow for what I laid out?

Lian Li PC-9f
i5 2500k
AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
EVGA GTX 580 3GB
Crucial M4 256GB
16GB G. Skill Sniper CAS7
Corsair HX1050
Corsair H80
Plextor PX-L890SA Lightscribe OEM
Windows 7 PRO 64bit

Thank you for any input.

More about : 2500k build

November 26, 2011 4:56:02 AM

Why win pro over home premium? other than that, looks fine to me...some may push you towards a higher end mobo though.
November 26, 2011 4:59:01 AM

Win7 Pro because I use an ergodex (which is a customizable keyboard I am dependent on for gaming) and it isn't really supported for drivers beyond winXP. So I am figuring I would still be able to use it since Win7 Pro has XP with it.
Related resources
November 26, 2011 5:07:11 AM

I was gonna go with the ASUS Sabertooth P67 or the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 but figured the AsRock would be sufficient. I am partial to Gigabyte but if I see there is valid reasons for another MOBO I am open to those suggestions.
November 26, 2011 6:45:07 AM

I'm sure the asrock will be fine, I actually got mine to replace a gigabyte board that fried, so I can't complain though the board itself seems flimsier. I think other boards have more advanced power regulation for extreme OC's, which few people care about. Other features liek a usb header (not just the port on the back) would be nice, but for the price, you can't complain.
November 26, 2011 3:12:48 PM

I agree...I will just do the 4.5Ghz OC and be fine with that. If the AsRock don't work out I will just opt for the Gigabyte. Not sure I follow you on the USB header point can you explain?
November 26, 2011 5:11:16 PM

The board has a usb3 port on the back, but if you have a case with a front usb3, there is no header, so you either have to plug into the back, run a cable up to the front, get an add in card, or deal with usb2 speeds.
November 26, 2011 11:09:48 PM

etk said:
The board has a usb3 port on the back, but if you have a case with a front usb3, there is no header, so you either have to plug into the back, run a cable up to the front, get an add in card, or deal with usb2 speeds.

Oh ya well that is the problem with pretty much every board right now and that won't bother me. I don't own anything with usb3. That is why I thought giving the AsRock a go due to the lower price. I don't even think I need the PCIe 16x 3.0 at all but since it is backwards compatible it didn't make sense to pay more to take that feature off. If anything goes wrong I will go with the Gigabyte.

I have built with MSI before and had no real problems and I was a butt hair away from getting the Asus Sabertooth so it seems as long as you use a MOBO from at least the major 3 companies you can't go wrong. I refuse to pay 350 bucks for a motherboard though as much as I would have loved to have the Maximus or the Sniper.
November 26, 2011 11:10:50 PM

madchemist83 said:
What about asus

Yes what about it? I would appreciate some input.
November 27, 2011 2:34:53 AM

Dassie_Macleod said:
Or what about MSI?

And MSI?
November 27, 2011 5:31:28 AM

asus P8z68 pro is one of the best mobos build quality wise and feature wise
and we don't need no stinkin PCI-E 3.0
November 27, 2011 5:38:09 AM

madchemist83 said:
asus P8z68 pro is one of the best mobos build quality wise and feature wise
and we don't need no stinkin PCI-E 3.0

I know the PCIe 3.0 isn't needed but the AsRock is just as good for cheaper I think after reading reviews. I already ordered everything so if I run into problems I will probably go the Asus or Gigabyte.

I probably should have save 140 bucks on Memory but oh well.
!