XFX 650W XXX EDITION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyboy2

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I have a cheap 650w PSU and after some thought and taking into account of the opinions of people on the forum I have decided to buy the XFX 650W XXX EDITION Modular PSU, is it good? any bad thoughts or opinions? I got the Old PSU refunded, it cost me £23 but you can now buy it for £12 so it is actually terrible, Leave any comment on your opinion or if you think I should get something else at that price, also the green fan is a nice touch as it goes with my Green Sharkoon T9 ATX case.

AMD Athlon X3 450
HD 5870 or possibly the new 7800 series depending on specs and comparisons (including price)

Thanks all for your help, Much appreciated:)

Sam.

data

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
most branded psu,s are better, dont take my word, but i read xfx make some good power supplys

i use to buy cheap psu,s then bought a antec 650w, i presume youve reviewed it

but myself these days with 12v+ rails brand with a 50amp single, 25amp dual or 18amp min triple rails

probably would be good choices, antec/corsair/xfx and ocz aparently make some good psu,s

the xfx looks spot on 52amp single rail and modular

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
Personally I don't think you can beat the Corsair TX650. I think it's only like 5 dollars US to get to 750W which can't hurt. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031 , or if you have a few extra bucks go for the professional GOLD rated series which is on special from Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035 .

The model you are referring to is dicontinued over here in the states. Newegg nor Amazon carry it anymore. Google shows it at about $100.

Hope this helps... Never really hear much good about XFX honestly, and the one you are looking at appears cool, but isn't cheaper so why not get the better brand... Who is going to LOOK at your PSU?

Thumbs up if this helps.

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

That could very well be true, I just hardly hear of any fans of XFX stuff. They seem to be more on the bargain side of video cards. Common on Best Buy and Walmart shelves. That list looks like a good and reliable guide. I don't like that it claims Corsair AX series is ranked with this one. One is gold standard and the other is bronze. I know that's just an efficiency rating, but is usually a good sign of quality parts.

I have that exact PSU, got it on a package deal with a nice MIR, so it was actually around 60$ US for me after all the hoopla, and so far, it's my favorite PSU, I've run Antec and Corsair in the past, I'll definitely go XFX or Seasonic (Seasonic makes the XFX PSUs) in the future.

D

Deleted member 217926

The tier list is based on ripple and noise not efficiency.

XFX power supplies are all made my Seasonic.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

Corsair uses Seasonic, CWT and Flextronics.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

Made by Seasonic but not worth the Seasonic name... Doesn't mean anything. Just like ASrock is made by ASUS but ASrock blows. Would you classify Cadillac and and Chevy in the same tier?

D

Deleted member 217926

I think you are a few years behind the times. AS Rock has made boards every bit as good as Asus and Gigabyte for several years now just as XFX has made excellent power supplies for several years. Almost every single power supply ever made by XFX gets a 9+ recommended buy from jonnyguru or did you not bother looking. They do not even make a "budget" line like the Corsair CX and GS.

Read the X79 motherboard article on the front page of Tom's. AS Rock boards have won the recommended buy award in quite a few of these comparison articles in the last few years.

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

Is Biostar is on your list of quality manufacturing as well?

D

Deleted member 217926

I don't see where it's my list. It is the opinion of every hardware testing site I read. You are the one who is stuck in 2006. Feel free to prove me wrong. Any links you can provide to comprehensive independent testing equal to or better than anandtech, jonnyguru, Tom's Hardware, Hard OCP, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven, XBit Labs ect. will do.

I'll wait. :sarcastic:

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
Hmm Hmm... Let's see... As I am a computer engineer I trust my own knowledge on hardware pretty well... but if you need the media to lead you... You do the looking.

ASrock only offers warranty through their dealers for one, unless you pay them to service you... You are fine with Newegg because they are awesome, but even then it's only 3 years to ASUS and many others 5 year warranties. But don't get me wrong, I've bought ASRock boards for workstations because they are cheap, but I'd never consider them for a $1500 gaming rig... NEVER.

Last year ASUS sold almost 3 times the number of motherboards as ASrock INCLUDING ASrock's specialty... OEM crap motherboards in your eMachine. Are they growing? Yes. One day they may compete on the high end system (where this convo started) however right now they are still mostly a budget motherboard manufacturer. They don't even have a 10 year track record yet.

Anyway, I'm bored with this conversation. You get the last word.

data

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
XFX 650W XXX EDITION? is what the thread was about not who makes the best motherboards, geesh there are a lot of flamers about these days arent they lol

i.d go with the xfx 650 or the corsair tbh, probably which ever ones the cheapest
theyve both got over 50amps on the 12v rail

both bronze certified

i,m runin the antec 650w neopower, with the gun metal finished case there discontinued now i think, but antec sell a different neopower now

ive had mine for probably around 3 years now and it,s still runing soild & it,s modular

main thing is ask on forums like here, read reviews on what your interested in

make sure it,s got good amps & if you want to cable tidy better, modualrs the way to go, makes sence to me,

why have cables inside the computer that you dont use hangin around inside out of the way with a cable tie

though i do have a antec earthwatts which isnt modular in my other rig, so i,m not slateing fully cabled power suplys, it,s each to there own preferance

ive also gave away or sold cheaply cos they were cheap power supplys to my friend
whisch worked fine while i had them, but my friend managed to pop them

so ye, it definatly pays of to buy a brand name

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I use the XFX 750w XXX PRO PSU, and its rock solid. XFX make very good quality PSU's - as do ASUS make good motherboards I might add :) Both components would always be my manufacturer of choice for future hardware :)

its just business how many seasonic units are sold under the seasonic name and how many are sold under other names ?

the other brand seasonic oem units out sell seasonic oem units 10 to one easily

and the xfx 650 xxx it based off the older pcp&c 610 unit which was built by seasonic, with a modular panel and its pretty good

D

Deleted member 217926

Please check dates before you post. This thread is a year and a half old and there was no need to post in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.