rebuild gone wrong please help

vitto1992

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
hello i have a e machine amd 2 that im building and for now i have a basic seagate barracuda ata 40 gig hd to see if everthing runs fine but i cant seem to load my hd... i just pulled it out of its original machine( compaq evo 2001) and it was working fine if anyone has any ideas on what to do about this it would be greatly appreciated.
( already did a basic bios check and it picks up the hard drive and shows the memory status and says its fine but it just goes to the startup screen to run windows normally, run last known etc... )

Solution
The 40GB IDE HD you pull out from compaq evo 2001 and you want to plug in to another machine.... for sure it cannot boot up because all the hardware setting you should get a BSOD or reboot ... you need to reinstall OS again in the new machine.. or you can try chnage to standard IDE controller in the old machine before plug it to the new machine..

vitto1992

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

thanks ill try that hope to god it works ive been going at this thing all day

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
The 40GB IDE HD you pull out from compaq evo 2001 and you want to plug in to another machine.... for sure it cannot boot up because all the hardware setting you should get a BSOD or reboot ... you need to reinstall OS again in the new machine.. or you can try chnage to standard IDE controller in the old machine before plug it to the new machine..

Solution

vitto1992

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

it worked thanx so much yeaaahhh

The hard drive is running fine.

You need to reinstall windows on the harddrive.
It is trying to boot with the drivers from the Compaq computer motherboard.
A new install is reccomended.A Repair installs works sometimes but is a pain.
Random crashes etc..

If you intend to use it for now.
Put it back in the Compaq computer. Boot up .
Save all the music, pictures,documents ,,what ever you need of of the drive.

Put it in the new computer, install the windows cd in the drive, install a new operatinggg system on C: drive. The cd will format the harddrive and all information on the hard drive will be lost, then it will install windows.The reason for saving everthing in the first step.
Update motherboard, video, sound, ethernet,?? drivers.

vitto1992

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

thanks for the tip it actually just crashed last night as i was changing my settings and i got freakin pissed