Sign in with
Your question

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2012 9:36:07 PM

I'm doing my first build and need some advice.

It will not be a gaming computer, however I'm a heavy multi-tasker, so I want lots of speed and memory to give me the ability to have many, many programs and tasks running at the same time. I want room to grow this computer over years, both in case size and MOBO & CPU capabilities.

I also want a full tower case, because I don't like working in tight spaces and I need lots of cooling because, even with supplemental AC in my small office, the computers tend to run hot. So I'm thinking of using a HAF932 case (I like the look of the Corsair CC800DW better, but it's a lot more $$ - which I'd rather spend on stuff that matters more, and doesn't seem to have the cooling I need).

I'm planning to use an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, with a Cooler Master GX Series 650W ATX 12V V2.31 80 PLUS power supply and at least 8GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance? Amazon's got a good price on it). I was thinking of using an AMD Black Edition AMD Phenom II X4 965 / 3.4 GHz CPU (with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler on it), but it seems to be "out of stock" at several places and I've read some iffy reviews on it.

So, I'm wondering what CPU would be best here. I went to ASUS' compatibility page (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A89GTD_PROUS...), but don't have enough knowledge to make this decision. I know the CPU is not something I want to skimp on.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on my CPU issue. And, if I'm making mistakes in other areas please let me know before I spend a bunch of $$ on an unsuccessful or growth limited build.

Thanks! :) 
February 27, 2012 9:53:32 PM

I forgot to say that I do a lot of photo & video editing.
Related resources
!