560 ti twin frozr II SLI @100c

atomiczam

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I have 2x 560 ti twin frozr II GPUs in my Rosewill Challenger case. I was playing Shogun II for about 3 hours and alt tabbed to check on the temps in MSI afterburner. Noticed top card was 83c and bottom card was 79c. What worried me though is the max read 100c on the top card, but the bottom never broke 79c. I don't have a large enough PSU to overclock them beyond factory so that's not the problem. Any adivice other than RMAing the card?

Full specs:
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II 2x SLI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600 16GB (4 x 4GB)
hec Zephyr MX 750W PSU
Western Digital 500GB
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge OC@ 4.2
Antec Kuhler H2O 620
MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Fans
Front 1x 120 + 1 x 80 (In)
Side 2x 120 (In)
Top 1x 140 (Out)
Rear 1x 120 (Out)

Solution
Go to your nVidia control panel, and try to see if you can make the fan RPM's go manual from automatic. If that does not work, try to use MSI Afterburner and increase your RPM speeds. I have had the same temps, but are you sure you are not seeing the card max temps as the maximum temps on that card before it shuts down, or the max card temp that afterburner read during your gaming session? If that is the case, make sure your fan RPM is accurate. Anything between 40-75% fan speed means they are doing their job. RMA would be my last resort, but try swapping the cards from their PCIe slots and see if that changes anything.

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Go to your nVidia control panel, and try to see if you can make the fan RPM's go manual from automatic. If that does not work, try to use MSI Afterburner and increase your RPM speeds. I have had the same temps, but are you sure you are not seeing the card max temps as the maximum temps on that card before it shuts down, or the max card temp that afterburner read during your gaming session? If that is the case, make sure your fan RPM is accurate. Anything between 40-75% fan speed means they are doing their job. RMA would be my last resort, but try swapping the cards from their PCIe slots and see if that changes anything.

Solution

atomiczam

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Already have fans on a custom setting and both were at 99%. And I'm definitely getting max sessions temps because if I restart afterburner is drops that reading back to 36 where the cards idle. And there's nothing else I can do to increase ventilation; have no wires between them and the mobo only has 2 pci-e x16 slots, but they do have a x1 between them. And with the liquid CPU cooler the top card has a ton of room above it.

What I don't understand is why it only happens with Shogun II. Dues Ex max settings, SC II max settings, Witcher II max settings, nothing else pushes them over 80.

badboyzasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Did you swap card 1 to card 2's PCIe slot and vice versa? try that if you have not and check the temps, which GPU gets the higher temps? honestly, i do not play these titles, but Metro 2033 does push my GPU load to 100% and temps to about 75 C. Though 99-100 is reaching its max temp according to the reference and if you arent able to add an intake on the side, try taking out the cards and use them on a friend's pc, and see if the same temps occur. If that's the case, check with MIS tech support before an RMA and see if its a known issue. If so, double check with the retailer you bought the card from (if it was a local retailer) and the last resort would be RMA.

atomiczam

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Swapped the cards and the now top card (one that was on bottom) peaked at 89c at the same load but the now bottom card hit 83c. So in either position I have 1 card that's hotter than the other in the same spot. Think I'm just going to leave them be though, the one that's overheating is in the cooler spot and it's not worth the $16 shipping + being without it for a month to RMA it.

Thanks for the help guys.