Sign in with
Your question

Replacing old laptop parts for newer and better

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2013 8:38:30 AM

Hello, I have a MSI gaming laptop a few years old. One day, after many problems it finally quit. Won't load, not even a BSOD. I have a feeling the processor of the dedicated graphics card cracked due to the heat felt in palm rests, however IDK, could be the cpu, all I know is I get nothing when I try to turn it on. I essentially have an overpriced $400 paperweight. I had to replace it after only owning it second hand for a year. Now I have a semi decent HP DV6.
I was curious if I could gut the MSI and put a new upgraded laptop motherboard in there and get a better cpu and have it all work. If they can do it @ the factory why can't I put whatever cpu and chipset I want as long as it fits? The thing is massive compared to today's laptops. I don't see why I could not do whatever with all that room. I think in theory it should work, the only problem I can think of would be the power supply and how to regulate it, should the power req. for the chipset need be different?. I think AMD would be best.
January 3, 2013 9:30:50 AM

Just forget this idea. Your Display won´t be compatible, the power supply is not universal, the ports to the outside are elsewehre and the cooling system is totally different. Beside this, did you research how much a mobile mainboard and CPU costs on the market?
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:04:58 PM

I agree that it is probably not worth the trouble. There isn't as much standardization in the laptop world as there is in the desktop pc world, so you are not likely to find compatible parts, without going directly for the hardware that was meant for that laptop. That it mind, if you want to look at some laptop parts, you can check out places like http://www.zkarlo.com and www.sparepartswarehouse.com.
m
l
!