Looking for advice concerning the PSP handheld unit...

Greetings folks. :)

Currently, I am an XBOX owner. I did own a PlayStation 2 console about
a year prior to my purchase of an XBOX in 2001, but I sold it, since it
seemed that most of the games I wanted for the PS2 were also available
for the XBOX as well.

However, having any console such as the XBOX, PS2, or even the GameCube
is problematic for me, and here's why:

I have my XBOX in my small upstairs home office. It's essentially where
I work on my comic art, my science-fiction writing, and my 2D/3D graphics
projects. Needless to say, space is limited.

I have an industrial-grade light table, a desk with two PowerMacs on it,
and two more large desks which I use for drawing comic art. I've managed
to put up with all of the extra room that my XBOX and TV set take up for
the past four years, but lately, I've been getting busy, and I need more
room. So, I'm looking to get my gaming fixes from a decent handheld so
that I won't have to have large bulky hardware getting in my way when
I'm laying things out (the worst of which is my Phillips flat-screen
television).

The PSP looks to be leagues above anything else out there in terms of
handheld systems, but I have some concerns:

1.) Is Sony generally good about backward compatibility, concerning
console/gear accessories (I didn't own many for my PS2 at all)?
I don't want to invest money in memory sticks/UMDs and other
things only to have them go the way of the dinosaur when the next
iteration of the PSP or Sony's next hand-held system comes out.

2.) I've been reading an awful lot about the "dead pixel" issues some
people have been having. Do you folks know if most retailers are
willing to address this? Some of the larger chains like Best Buy
say they are, but are they sticking to their statements? Would it
be better to purchase a PSP from a local privately-owned retailer?
Is the dead-pixel thing as widespread and common as some websites
are portraying it to be?

3.) Is the PSP reasonably durable? I'm not looking to take it white-
water rafting or skydiving, but I'd like to know if it can handle
everyday use relatively well. I tend to be very gentle on my hardware
anyway, but I have experienced some expensive consumer electronics
that have proven to be "frail" in ways which I didn't expect that
they would be.

4.) Some websites warn that the right-side button closest to the screen
lags, and in some cases, works poorly, due to the fact that it doesn't
hover directly above the contact. Has anyone here, who happens to own
a PSP, noticed any such issues?

5.) Does anyone here happen to own a Nokia N-Gage? If so, would you
recommend it as a possible cheaper alternative?

6.) I recently read about the lawsuit concerning Sony's alleged use
of technology in their controllers without license or permission.
Could something like this financially shake Sony and affect their
support of a product like the PSP?

I've enjoyed my XBOX, but with Halo 2's coming and going, I can honestly
say my reason for owning one has also come and gone (Halo 3 is likely
going to be developed by a Bungie that is a mere burnt-out shell of the
Bungie we've (XBOX owners) grown to love). But more importantly, I need
the extra space and the convenience that a handheld system can offer.
With that said, I'd like to have a handheld system that is comparable
to the XBOX or PS2 in terms of game graphics, framerate, and quality.

Please, I don't want this post to end in a large flamefest, and I don't
wanna hear any anti-Microsoft/XBOX baloney either. I'm looking for honest
informed opinions about the PSP, and I'd appreciate complete candor and
unbiased opinions.

Andrew

Stephen Edwards wrote:
> [...]
> Could something like this financially shake Sony and affect their
> support of a product like the PSP?
>
> I've enjoyed my XBOX, but with Halo 2's coming and going, I can honestly
> say my reason for owning one has also come and gone (Halo 3 is likely
> going to be developed by a Bungie that is a mere burnt-out shell of the
> Bungie we've (XBOX owners) grown to love). But more importantly, I need
> the extra space and the convenience that a handheld system can offer.
> With that said, I'd like to have a handheld system that is comparable
> to the XBOX or PS2 in terms of game graphics, framerate, and quality.
>
> Please, I don't want this post to end in a large flamefest, and I don't
> wanna hear any anti-Microsoft/XBOX baloney either. I'm looking for honest
> informed opinions about the PSP, and I'd appreciate complete candor and

I am an Xbox freak that has been enamoured enough with the PSP to pretty
much stop playing my Xbox for the last week. I like the portability,
and it does save space!

--

Andrew

"Stephen Edwards" <tg416@cyclic.aux.net> wrote in message
> Greetings folks. :)
>

> The PSP looks to be leagues above anything else out there in terms of
> handheld systems, but I have some concerns:
>
> 1.) Is Sony generally good about backward compatibility, concerning
> console/gear accessories (I didn't own many for my PS2 at all)?
> I don't want to invest money in memory sticks/UMDs and other
> things only to have them go the way of the dinosaur when the next
> iteration of the PSP or Sony's next hand-held system comes out.

They are really good about holding on to their "proprietary" technology and
the PSP utilizes all Sony in terms the memory stick and the UMD. There is
also an indication that the UMD is a feature of the PS3 as well.

> 2.) I've been reading an awful lot about the "dead pixel" issues some
> people have been having. Do you folks know if most retailers are
> willing to address this? Some of the larger chains like Best Buy
> say they are, but are they sticking to their statements? Would it
> be better to purchase a PSP from a local privately-owned retailer?
> Is the dead-pixel thing as widespread and common as some websites
> are portraying it to be?

I have purchased 3 and one had about 4 dead pixels off to the side. The
"dead pixel" phoenomenon of which you speak is widespread in many different
products that use the same technology. The protection plan at Best Buy
allows you to return until your heart is content.

> 3.) Is the PSP reasonably durable? I'm not looking to take it white-
> water rafting or skydiving, but I'd like to know if it can handle
> everyday use relatively well. I tend to be very gentle on my hardware
> anyway, but I have experienced some expensive consumer electronics
> that have proven to be "frail" in ways which I didn't expect that
> they would be.

I've dropped it quite a few times because I am not used to using head phones
and it is akward for me. No problems at all with my drops. Although I have
carpet and it usually falls no more than 4 feet.

> 4.) Some websites warn that the right-side button closest to the screen
> lags, and in some cases, works poorly, due to the fact that it doesn't
> hover directly above the contact. Has anyone here, who happens to own
> a PSP, noticed any such issues?

Nope.

> 5.) Does anyone here happen to own a Nokia N-Gage? If so, would you
> recommend it as a possible cheaper alternative?

NO! If you have read all of these things about the PSP, you might want to
do a little research on the n-gage. It is not an alternative. The nintendo
DS is an alternative. The n-gage isn't on the same planet.

> 6.) I recently read about the lawsuit concerning Sony's alleged use
> of technology in their controllers without license or permission.
> Could something like this financially shake Sony and affect their
> support of a product like the PSP?

No. $90 million they were ordered to pay is a small dent to companies like
Sony.

On 3/31/2005 11:54 PM, Stephen Edwards spake thusly:

> 1.) Is Sony generally good about backward compatibility, concerning
> console/gear accessories (I didn't own many for my PS2 at all)?
> I don't want to invest money in memory sticks/UMDs and other
> things only to have them go the way of the dinosaur when the next
> iteration of the PSP or Sony's next hand-held system comes out.

I'd be very, very surprised if the next PSP wasn't backwards compatible with
this one, and Sony will pimp their overpriced memory sticks til the end of
time, so don't worry too much about either of these issues.

> 2.) I've been reading an awful lot about the "dead pixel" issues some
> people have been having. Do you folks know if most retailers are
> willing to address this? Some of the larger chains like Best Buy
> say they are, but are they sticking to their statements? Would it
> be better to purchase a PSP from a local privately-owned retailer?
> Is the dead-pixel thing as widespread and common as some websites
> are portraying it to be?

It does seem pretty widespread. Both the PSPs I've seen up close have them,
but the degree of noticability varies. I wouldn't even have noticed them in
one unit if not for all the dead pixel talk, and they're completely
invisible any time there's a moving image on the screen. (The other one I've
seen has about five scattered across the central area of the screen.) Maybe
you can find a retailer that will let you power up the PSP in store before
you purchase it?

> 3.) Is the PSP reasonably durable? I'm not looking to take it white-
> water rafting or skydiving, but I'd like to know if it can handle
> everyday use relatively well. I tend to be very gentle on my hardware
> anyway, but I have experienced some expensive consumer electronics
> that have proven to be "frail" in ways which I didn't expect that
> they would be.

Just keep it in the case when not using it, and you should be fine. Screen
scratches are your main concern. In terms of just handling the thing, it's
reasonably durable. But you wouldn't want to drop it.

> 4.) Some websites warn that the right-side button closest to the screen
> lags, and in some cases, works poorly, due to the fact that it doesn't
> hover directly above the contact. Has anyone here, who happens to own
> a PSP, noticed any such issues?

I notice that the square button feels a little different from the other
three, but I've never had issues with it not functioning properly.

> 5.) Does anyone here happen to own a Nokia N-Gage? If so, would you
> recommend it as a possible cheaper alternative?

NO. Unless you can get one for a song, don't bother -- there are literally
only about three games worth playing on the N-Gage that you can't play on,
say, a GBA. Plus they're already on their second hardware design and about
to release a next-gen unit by the sounds of it. Because it's more cellphone
than game machine, it will become obsolete much faster.

> 6.) I recently read about the lawsuit concerning Sony's alleged use
> of technology in their controllers without license or permission.
> Could something like this financially shake Sony and affect their
> support of a product like the PSP?

No, because it doesn't have any vibration feedback.

> I've enjoyed my XBOX, but with Halo 2's coming and going, I can honestly
> say my reason for owning one has also come and gone (Halo 3 is likely
> going to be developed by a Bungie that is a mere burnt-out shell of the
> Bungie we've (XBOX owners) grown to love).

And it'll be on Xbox 360 anyway.

> But more importantly, I need
> the extra space and the convenience that a handheld system can offer.
> With that said, I'd like to have a handheld system that is comparable
> to the XBOX or PS2 in terms of game graphics, framerate, and quality.

Then the PSP is really your only choice. I don't think you'll be
disappointed.

HTH,

-Z-

I have some dead pixels but you can only see them when the screen goes
black. During game/movie play you cant tell there there. extended I play the
psp at home as well because the screen is nice and big unlike other
portables where you have to have them right in your mug to see anything. So
yeah, this could actually replace a console. Theres some great games coming
out for this to. Along with games that are on the consoles like gta and gt4.

unkn2232324

> the screen is nice and big unlike other
>portables where you have to have them right in your mug to see anything.

For example, a Mobile Phone? What other portable are you having
trouble seeing?

"You should have gone to specsavers mate" :)

Gary.