Sign in with
Your question

Asus PCE N13 wireless adapter + s/w Access point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 24, 2011 3:05:41 PM

Just bought this ASUS PCE N13 wireless adapter which has two antennas.

Bought this coz i wanted to share internet connection, thru a USB 3G data card, between desktop & laptop (phones too).

Didnt buy a router, because when i get a landline connection, the ISP will provide one.

I'm not able to access the Desktop thru phone & laptop, the WL adapter just doesnt let me create a network :( 

Things i've done so far,

1. Put the USB 3G data card in sharing mode
2. enabled software AP mode (pic 2)
3. Put the 3G data card as 'internet access' in ASUS utilty (pic 2)

pic 1

pic 2

note: When i enable the Ad-hoc in properties window (pic 3), for 10-30seconds the ASUS WL utility shows more option/tabs. (pic 4 & 5), but after that returns to original state (pic 2)

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5
March 24, 2011 5:47:35 PM

I'm not familiar w/ that particular wireless adapter, but I see it supports AP mode. And if that's how you've chosen to configure it, why do you need ad hoc mode? The whole point of AP (infrastructure) mode is to avoid ad hoc mode! That's probably why it's failing. Your attempts to create an adhoc network make no sense.

All you should need to do is enable ICS on your 3G connection and associate it w/ the wireless network connection. Simple.
m
l
March 25, 2011 4:01:38 AM

I have done what you said, but the adapter doesnt show the advanced settings at all.

if it shows, it does for 10seconds only :( 

Do i have to select any of those check boxes

When i drag & drop the 3G data card in the 'internet' box & apply, a window pops up saying ICS failed.

Is the card faulty, or is there any ASUS utility / windows 7 problem
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 6:40:37 AM

tried that also, still doesnt work :( 
m
l
March 25, 2011 3:56:55 PM

s18000rpm said:
I have done what you said, but the adapter doesnt show the advanced settings at all.

if it shows, it does for 10seconds only :( 

Do i have to select any of those check boxes

]http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/8900/24466101.th.jpg

When i drag & drop the 3G data card in the 'internet' box & apply, a window pops up saying ICS failed.
]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1473/19329656.th.jpg

Is the card faulty, or is there any ASUS utility / windows 7 problem

The internet is on the 3G connection, correct? And your wireless adapter is only a local wireless AP, correct? And you want to share the 3G connection w/ your wireless users, correct? Then why are you trying to enable wireless sharing on the wireless AP?? Forget about that feature on the wireless adapter, that’s for sharing the wireless adapter! That’s irrelevant. You’re trying to share the 3G connection. All you have to do is enable AP mode on the wireless adapter, then go over to the 3G connection and enable ICS *there*!

Again, unless I misunderstand the configuration here, it's the 3G connection that needs ICS enabled, not the wireless connection.
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:25:27 AM

thanks for explaining :) 

sorry, couldnt reply coz the 3g card stooped working for 5 days.

New improvements!!!

Uninstalled the ASUS w/l utility, then reinstalled it under XP SP2 Compatibilty mode.

Now the utility works, but there's a new problem -

The AP keeps restarting exactly every minute.

Dunno whats the issue.

Tried to connect my android phone, it gets connected, on Phone it shows -
"Obtaining IP adress...", then it gets disconnected :-|

you can see the event log.

Tested on Windows 7 32 & 64 bit.
dont have XP or Vista

Sent a mail to ASUS on Friday to which they replied on Wednesday :fou:  & said AP mode is supported in XP & Vista.

but the darn product is marketed as Windows 7 compatible & even has a Win 7 supported sticker on its box.

What can i do now.

Connectify shows that AP mode is not supported on the adapter, so it shows only Ad-Hoc options.

m
l
April 1, 2011 3:56:50 AM

As long as your wifi clients support ad hoc mode, setting the ASUS PCE N13 wireless adapter up in ad hoc mode would work too.

Here's a guy doing just that w/ his iPhone, and sharing his internet connection w/ the ad hoc network (only difference in your case is the Internet connection is 3G).

http://alaashaker.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/connecting-y...
m
l
April 7, 2011 9:07:37 AM

OMG

FINNNALLY THE AP IS WORKING

Here's what i did,

Uninstalled that POS ASUS wLan utility,

Downloaded & installed Ralink RT2790 Wireless LAN Driver Version: 3.1.8.0

http://driverscollection.com/?H=RT2790&By=Ralink
File Size:
30.31Mb

In RaLink WLan utilty, the IP address was changing between 192.168.123.1 & another IP address - 169.244.44.170

My phone coulndt connect, it showed "obtaining IP address..." & never connected.

Then in "config AP" window, i clicked on "group rekey interval", theres a button which alternates b/w - "10 seconds" & "Kpackets", selected the former, then the RaLink utilty showed only one IP address- 192....

please explain what the hell are those things - group rekey interval, kpackets, 10seconds.

now configed the 3G data card to work with w/l card & now i'm able to connect the phone :D 

today morning, i was so frustrated with the asus card, that i wanted to sell it. :p 

thanks for the replies guys.

Finally the card is working, no thanks to ASUS :-X
m
l
April 7, 2011 12:51:38 PM

As an additional security measure, the WPA/WPA2 protocol allows the encryption key to be changed every X number of secs/mins. That way, even if someone was miraculously able to use it and decrypt your data (not easy), it would only be good for that small period of time before the key changes.

Frankly, changing the key every 10 secs is wildly excessive (imo) and adds to the overhead associated w/ those wireless connections. Remember, each time the key changes, the router has to stop what it's doing, generate a new key, and renegotiate w/ the wireless session w/ each client to keep them updated. Most routers set this to 3600 (60 mins) by default, which is usually just fine. If you want something less, I personally would never go below 5-10 mins (300-600 secs).
m
l
June 18, 2011 3:41:54 PM

I bought a MSI 5670 graphics card, so thought of reinstalling Windows7 (was using IGP GMA X3000).

after fresh install, the RaLink software is working fine.

Using the Soft Access point works fine with no connection drops :D 

but, not at all going to update its drivers, it works fine, so wont update it :p 

thanks for all the help guys :) 
m
l
!