Sign in with
Your question

HELP! MSI R5450 isn't recognized by computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2011 1:08:35 AM

Hello,

I've been trying to get my new video card to work all day and can't seem to figure it out. I previously had an ATI 6000 series, can't remember exactly, but the fan went bad on it and was very loud.

Bought this new MSI R5450 MD1GH, pulled the old video card out, put this one in and nothing happened. It came with an install disc but that doesn't do anything other than install MSI Afterburner. It says Driver, but it doesn't seem to install the driver or do anything when I click it. I've ran Afterburner and it says there wasn't support devices found.

The new video card doesn't show up under the Device Manager, only the original built-in one.

Ran out of ideas and really just want to get it to work. I am running Windows Vista 32-bit

Thanks in advance!
a c 1309 U Graphics card
September 30, 2011 1:11:14 AM

Are getting display from the card? is your monitor cable hooked into the card or the motherboard?
September 30, 2011 1:16:33 AM

When I plug the monitor into the graphics card, I get no display. I have it plugged into the motherboard (I believe) right now to see what I'm doing. I've gone into BIOS and checked the primary display and it was set to PCI.
Related resources
September 30, 2011 1:26:54 AM

if you're not getting any display from the videocard and still using motherboard videocard, you're doing something wrong (or maybe it's incompatible)

try asking at msi support website.

btw, what's your motherboard?
September 30, 2011 1:33:50 AM

bebangs said:
if you're not getting any display from the videocard and still using motherboard videocard, you're doing something wrong (or maybe it's incompatible)

try asking at msi support website.

btw, what's your motherboard?

I'm not sure which motherboard I have, or how to tell.

I could be doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure it out. It's plugged in tight and my computer meets all the requirements.
a c 1309 U Graphics card
September 30, 2011 1:47:20 AM

It looks like the card might be bad since, if your hardware is relatively new, the onboard should be disabled when a discrete card is inserted in the PCIe slot.
September 30, 2011 1:50:06 AM

That makes sense. My previous one installed with no issues. Plugged it in and hooked the monitor up to it and it ran fine. I just assumed I was doing something wrong seeing as it's brand new.
!