Taskbar Notifications

August 18, 2004 6:47:19 PM

Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
(color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
way to get rid of this "option?"

More about : taskbar notifications

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:39:34 AM

Hi Dave,

This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".

TweakUI can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
> updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
> (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
> like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
> hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
> way to get rid of this "option?"
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:59:01 AM

Hi there,

As a follow up, is there a way to do this without using TWEAKUI? I do not
wan't to install this throughout my desktops.

Greetings

Tijs

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
> 'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".
>
> TweakUI can be downloaded from:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
> > updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
> > (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
> > like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
> > hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
> > way to get rid of this "option?"

August 19, 2004 1:22:34 PM

Hi,

You may download and run this edit:

Disable balloon tips (line 11, left column)

"tborgers" <tborgers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> As a follow up, is there a way to do this without using TWEAKUI? I do not
> wan't to install this throughout my desktops.
>
> Greetings
>
> Tijs
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
>> 'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".
>>
>> TweakUI can be downloaded from:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>>

>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
>> > updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
>> > (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
>> > like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
>> > hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
>> > way to get rid of this "option?"

August 19, 2004 8:47:31 PM

Thanks, Anando. I was still using an older version of
PowerToys (TweakUI), but loaded the newer version for XP
and now the balloons are gone.

..asp

>--
>
>Anando
>Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>http://www.mvps.org
>
>Folder customizations
>http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
>Protect your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when
automatic
>> updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
>> (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
>> like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It
then
>> hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
>> way to get rid of this "option?"
>

>.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:08:33 AM

Glad to see all is working well !

--

> Thanks, Anando. I was still using an older version of
> PowerToys (TweakUI), but loaded the newer version for XP
> and now the balloons are gone.

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 3:43:07 PM

Wow, so you have to add additional software to disable those things? These
pop-up notifications are nothing but a pain in the elementary school computer
lab where I work. Any time students (grades K - 5) log into my Lab computers,
they get the "Take a Windows XP Tour" note. It's confusing for them. And
addition of any additional software is strongly discouraged (read,
"prohibited") by our district administrators. Add to that the fact that there
are 24 PCs in the Lab. I had hoped that there would be an easier fix for this
one!

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
> 'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".
>
> TweakUI can be downloaded from:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
> > updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
> > (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
> > like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
> > hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
> > way to get rid of this "option?"

Anonymous
September 13, 2004 11:38:58 PM

Hi,

You may download and run this edit if you dont want to install TweakUI:

http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee

"Gryf" <Gryf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C6BF6C0-C15C-413A-924E-04C02AD0C638@microsoft.com...
> Wow, so you have to add additional software to disable those things? These
> pop-up notifications are nothing but a pain in the elementary school computer
> lab where I work. Any time students (grades K - 5) log into my Lab computers,
> they get the "Take a Windows XP Tour" note. It's confusing for them. And
> addition of any additional software is strongly discouraged (read,
> "prohibited") by our district administrators. Add to that the fact that there
> are 24 PCs in the Lab. I had hoped that there would be an easier fix for this
> one!
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
>> 'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".
>>
>> TweakUI can be downloaded from:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>>

>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I start my dial-up connection, or when automatic
>> > updates finds a new XP update, an annoying pale yellow
>> > (color may be computer dependent) window (actually more
>> > like a text bubble you see in the comics) pops up. It then
>> > hangs there until I click the close button. Is there a
>> > way to get rid of this "option?"

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 9:35:24 AM

Would this fix apply to all users? I ask because I did try TweakUI on my PC
here in the Lab, disabled the balloons, then logged in as a student. No
change, still got that confounded invite to take an XP tour.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may download and run this edit if you dont want to install TweakUI:
>
> Disable balloon tips (line 11, left column)

> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Gryf" <Gryf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C6BF6C0-C15C-413A-924E-04C02AD0C638@microsoft.com...
> > Wow, so you have to add additional software to disable those things? These
> > pop-up notifications are nothing but a pain in the elementary school computer
> > lab where I work. Any time students (grades K - 5) log into my Lab computers,
> > they get the "Take a Windows XP Tour" note. It's confusing for them. And
> > addition of any additional software is strongly discouraged (read,
> > "prohibited") by our district administrators. Add to that the fact that there
> > are 24 PCs in the Lab. I had hoped that there would be an easier fix for this
> > one!
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dave,
> >>
> >> This feature can be turned off by TweakUI. Under TweakUI, navigate to
> >> 'Taskbar and start menu' and uncheck "Enable baloon tips".
> >>
> >> TweakUI can be downloaded from:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando
> >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> http://www.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Folder customizations
> >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> >>
> >> Protect your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >>

> >> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:51:33 AM

Hi,

I guess it would be best to login as the student and then applying the edit.

--

!