Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Very Nervous help fast!

Tags:
  • Cyberpower
  • Power Supplies
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 26, 2011 2:17:43 PM

please help i customized an ordered a computer for my friend yesterday and i got him this power supply on cyberpower. I looked and it had a 5 year warranty so i thought it would be okay. I did this to save money becuase we couldnt upgrade to the corsair 850w which i wanted for him in the first place but he told me to scimp on some parts becuz it was too expensive.
any i enede up going with this 850 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU
and im hearing very bad review on it made the mistak of not checking reviews before buying. I dont belive it will be any where near max consumption
GTX 570
i5 2500k OC 3.7ghz
8 gigs of ram
1HDD
1OD
plenty of fans

More about : nervous fast

a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 2:25:54 PM

The PSU isn't a good place to skimp, you should have skimped on the video card instead.

A 6950 would have performed barely worse and saved you about $90.

I am not sure what you are asking.

If you can undo the transaction and change the gtx 570 down to a 6950 and then get a good PSU, like my XFX 650w I think you would probably be better off in all respects.

The PSU will probably work for a while, but I wouldn't trust it myself.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 2:29:24 PM

No, your power consumption won't be anywhere near 850W. What is the question BTW? :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 2:32:32 PM

Raiddinn said:
The PSU isn't a good place to skimp, you should have skimped on the video card instead.

A 6950 would have performed barely worse and saved you about $90.

I am not sure what you are asking.

If you can undo the transaction and change the gtx 570 down to a 6950 and then get a good PSU, like my XFX 650w I think you would probably be better off in all respects.

The PSU will probably work for a while, but I wouldn't trust it myself.

I got instead of whatever default power supply they were useing which was a 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready.
I figured since it would be no where near max consumption that it would be fine for a long time. Also i really wanted to push the GTX 570 for future proofing purposes. anyway should i tell him to sub out the Thermal tek for this one? 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 2:33:53 PM

The Corsair will be more reliable than the Thermaltake, all things being equal.
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 2:34:58 PM

FinneousPJ said:
No, your power consumption won't be anywhere near 850W. What is the question BTW? :D 

My question is will this thing last for his setup? I told my friend the if he were to buy the cheaper 800w defual unit cyberpower gives that it could burn out eventually. so i told him to get name brand PSU which was the thermaltek and it had an awesome MIR. I know its a hard question to anser as there is no predicting the future but should i tell him to sub it out for the corsair 850w?
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 2:37:36 PM

UPDATE: it also has a 5 year warranty so doesnt that mean somthing for how long it should last?IN addition i read 18 reviews on tigerdirect and everyone said it was great. But the amazon reviews wer around 1.5 stars and the tiger direct were 4.5 stars.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 2:49:10 PM

The Thermaltake is not a name brand PSU.

You absolutely must not trust any PSU review that does not include load testing with an oscilloscope. Here is why:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-o...

Thermaltake PSUs are poster children for "How bad can a PSU possibly be?" reviews.

If you read a review of that specific model that used an oscilloscope and that model passed with flying colors, then by all means feel safe with it, but many Thermaltake PSUs have problems delivering wattage within specifications and that can put internal parts in danger.

Tread extremely carefully.
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 3:26:31 PM

Raiddinn said:
The Thermaltake is not a name brand PSU.

You absolutely must not trust any PSU review that does not include load testing with an oscilloscope. Here is why:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-o...

Thermaltake PSUs are poster children for "How bad can a PSU possibly be?" reviews.

If you read a review of that specific model that used an oscilloscope and that model passed with flying colors, then by all means feel safe with it, but many Thermaltake PSUs have problems delivering wattage within specifications and that can put internal parts in danger.

Tread extremely carefully.

I am just trying to reassure myself here. But there isnt any overclock except a little on the processor and the max power consumption should be about 500w correct? do you think it will still have trouble delivirng wattage?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 3:53:27 PM

I cannot stress any more than I already have that I don't trust this PSU.

It is extremely easy for a PSU to get good reviews especially from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

That being said, this particular exact model has pretty much nothing but bad comments on Amazon. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-RX-850-W0319RU-Modula...

Here is an example for that exact model

This PSU is an ultimate fail. Mine went out after 7 months, filling up the room with Smoke. After inspection, I noticed that an unused PCI-E power had melted down. The PSU was connected to a simple computer build (blue ray drive, 1 hdd, no video card) but was purchased for future expansion hard drive expansion.

Here is another one

I bought this product for use with a Asus Super Computer motherboard. MB kept dieing. Took it in for replacement, turned out it had thermal damage. Took it to be repaired, damage to my $600 MB was because of THIS PSU! Repair people told me one of the rails was not putting out the correct voltage because of a product defect and this was becoming common place with Thermaltake. Thermaltake $100 in repairs and long days and nights of heartache and have made my personal black list. Hello Corsair ... are you gonna stay good?

It isn't just about stated wattage, it is about the "cleanliness" of the delivery.

This is what ripple charts are supposed to look like, from my PSU:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-650-W-Po...

Mind you, this isn't "ideal", but it is extremely good. Ideal would be the 12v rails with charts that look like the +5v and the +3.3v charts.

The ones shown for the 12vs are almost always wider than the +5 and +3.3s because power makers can vary up to 5% on the 12vs so potentially a 12v should be at the worst putting out juice in the range of 11.4 - 12.6 to remain in spec, but the one I showed was tighter than that, at about 11.7 to 12.3.

The closer you are to a consistent 12, the less your parts are likely to blow up.

Here is a review for a Thermaltake TR2 RX branded PSU, nearly the same with what you selected (750 vs 850)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

If you notice, it has FAIL written all over it.

The highest test with PASS written on it was for 440w which was 58.8% of max load. Everything above that failed miserably on the 750w Thermaltake PSU.

If you are going by this standard, you can't trust the 850 for any more than about 505w.

Additionally, and this is extremely important, look down at the ripple charts I mentioned before that showed the XFX giving out 11.7 - 12.3

On this Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w, the variance is actually off of the charts. The +5v on this PSU looks like the XFXs +12v. The +12v charts shown here are an example of the absolute worst possible chart that you can possibly have, bar none. There is no possible chart that can be drawn that is worse than these 12v charts.

With charts like those, you are maximally likely to destroy things like your graphics card and motherboard for every minute of usage.

It may take many minutes of that usage, even years worth, but you are rolling the dice the entire time.

I will not under any circumstances reassure you that your PSU will work safely and protect your parts from damage.
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:18:40 PM

Raiddinn said:
I cannot stress any more than I already have that I don't trust this PSU.

It is extremely easy for a PSU to get good reviews especially from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

That being said, this particular exact model has pretty much nothing but bad comments on Amazon. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-RX-850-W0319RU-Modula...

Here is an example for that exact model

This PSU is an ultimate fail. Mine went out after 7 months, filling up the room with Smoke. After inspection, I noticed that an unused PCI-E power had melted down. The PSU was connected to a simple computer build (blue ray drive, 1 hdd, no video card) but was purchased for future expansion hard drive expansion.

Here is another one

I bought this product for use with a Asus Super Computer motherboard. MB kept dieing. Took it in for replacement, turned out it had thermal damage. Took it to be repaired, damage to my $600 MB was because of THIS PSU! Repair people told me one of the rails was not putting out the correct voltage because of a product defect and this was becoming common place with Thermaltake. Thermaltake $100 in repairs and long days and nights of heartache and have made my personal black list. Hello Corsair ... are you gonna stay good?

It isn't just about stated wattage, it is about the "cleanliness" of the delivery.

This is what ripple charts are supposed to look like, from my PSU:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-650-W-Po...

Mind you, this isn't "ideal", but it is extremely good. Ideal would be the 12v rails with charts that look like the +5v and the +3.3v charts.

The ones shown for the 12vs are almost always wider than the +5 and +3.3s because power makers can vary up to 5% on the 12vs so potentially a 12v should be at the worst putting out juice in the range of 11.4 - 12.6 to remain in spec, but the one I showed was tighter than that, at about 11.7 to 12.3.

The closer you are to a consistent 12, the less your parts are likely to blow up.

Here is a review for a Thermaltake TR2 RX branded PSU, nearly the same with what you selected (750 vs 850)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-...

If you notice, it has FAIL written all over it.

The highest test with PASS written on it was for 440w which was 58.8% of max load. Everything above that failed miserably on the 750w Thermaltake PSU.

If you are going by this standard, you can't trust the 850 for any more than about 505w.

Additionally, and this is extremely important, look down at the ripple charts I mentioned before that showed the XFX giving out 11.7 - 12.3

On this Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w, the variance is actually off of the charts. The +5v on this PSU looks like the XFXs +12v. The +12v charts shown here are an example of the absolute worst possible chart that you can possibly have, bar none. There is no possible chart that can be drawn that is worse than these 12v charts.

With charts like those, you are maximally likely to destroy things like your graphics card and motherboard for every minute of usage.

It may take many minutes of that usage, even years worth, but you are rolling the dice the entire time.

I will not under any circumstances reassure you that your PSU will work safely and protect your parts from damage.

please look at the tigerdirect reviews. also most of those amazon reviews are because the people received a 350w instead of the one they ordered read the others and you will see. here is a link to tigerdirect reviws.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
also the power consumption at max should be about 500wats
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:25:38 PM

unfortuanatly im getting the feeling that buying that PSU was a mistake i think i am going to sub it out but he will be angry now but i guess thank me later.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 6:28:11 PM

None of the Tiger Direct reviewers used an oscilloscope, the one I linked to with the 750 of the same model type did and it showed hideous ripple/noise charts.

If you are intent on getting it and sticking with it, then I wish you luck with it.

If not, then you can at least ebay it and get something back out of the one you don't end up using.
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:31:48 PM

Raiddinn said:
None of the Tiger Direct reviewers used an oscilloscope, the one I linked to with the 750 of the same model type did and it showed hideous ripple/noise charts.

If you are intent on getting it and sticking with it, then I wish you luck with it.

If not, then you can at least ebay it and get something back out of the one you don't end up using.

the manufacturer (cyberpower) offers a 3 year warranty on the product anyway. If 3 years goes by and something happens by then it will be time for him to buy a new computer anyway so im really not concerned. He will never SLI or overclock. Can you give me an estimate or a place where i can find the power consumption of the system i have above?
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:34:54 PM

You aren't understanding this. Read the following several lines, slowly and thoroughly:

It isn't about the wattage. If a power supply is made of poor quality parts, like that Thermaltake, the QUALITY of the power it puts out is going to be equally poor, and will start burning out other components. Yes, it will be putting out 850w, and you'll be using 500w of it. BUT those 500w that you're using are going to be noisy and unreliable, destroying the life expectancy of your entire system.

Yeah, maybe the PSU will last, but the rest of the system won't. Can't send everything else back to the PSU manufacturer, now, can you?
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 6:37:48 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
You aren't understanding this. Read the following several lines, slowly and thoroughly:

It isn't about the wattage. If a power supply is made of poor quality parts, like that Thermaltake, the QUALITY of the power it puts out is going to be equally poor, and will start burning out other components. Yes, it will be putting out 850w, and you'll be using 500w of it. BUT those 500w that you're using are going to be noisy and unreliable, destroying the life expectancy of your entire system.

Yeah, maybe the PSU will last, but the rest of the system won't. Can't send everything else back to the PSU manufacturer, now, can you?

ITS CYBERPOWERPC a computer manufacturer. if something happens to the system then the warranty covers it. IM going to really try and convince to cancel the order and swap out the PSU but if i cannot i willl roll with this one. I will likely upgrade him to the TX850w from corsair. I realize this is a better choice. Thank you for all of your help and i apprecitated the fast responses! I will show him this thread and he will probably be convinced. One mre thing is the corsair 850w a good choice?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 6:48:57 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Yes, it will be putting out 850w, and you'll be using 500w of it.


The 750w TR2 RX could only deliver 60% of stated wattage when tested by load testing equipment. I don't have any good reason to believe the 850w model would be able to deliver power at a higher rate in relation to its stated wattage. That is why I said that the 850 is probably worth, at best, 505. I will bet money that if you tested 100x of these 850s that not a single one would ever give the full 850 for even 10 seconds without blowing up.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 7:21:21 PM

Why do you insist on 850W? That could run 570 SLI.
m
0
l
November 26, 2011 11:11:57 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Why do you insist on 850W? That could run 570 SLI.

the website doesnt give that many options plus know if whether or not he will ever SLI or something.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 12:07:00 AM

That is fine. Corsair is a top tier brand.
Share
November 27, 2011 3:38:11 AM

Best answer selected by theitaliansico.
m
0
l
!