Bluetooth USB adapters for PC

Last response: in Technologies
Share
May 4, 2005 11:08:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

There seem to be many models of these, with prices ranging from $12 after
rebate ($22 with $10 rebate, I think the brand was Trend Micro, not sure),
to $49 or so.

Is there much difference in how well they work? Any reviews of them? Or
should one just go for the lowest price?

More about : bluetooth usb adapters

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

The cheaper ones tend not to have updates - although the last big update for
dongles based on Widcomm software was something like 9 months ago. At least
make sure you're getting something with drivers Widcomm 1.4 and up.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

"MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
> There seem to be many models of these, with prices ranging from $12 after
> rebate ($22 with $10 rebate, I think the brand was Trend Micro, not sure),
> to $49 or so.
>
> Is there much difference in how well they work? Any reviews of them? Or
> should one just go for the lowest price?

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

Hi, where can I get the widcomm drivers?

TIA

--

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> The cheaper ones tend not to have updates - although the last big update
> for dongles based on Widcomm software was something like 9 months ago. At
> least make sure you're getting something with drivers Widcomm 1.4 and up.

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>

> "MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> There seem to be many models of these, with prices ranging from $12 after
>> rebate ($22 with $10 rebate, I think the brand was Trend Micro, not
>> sure),
>> to $49 or so.
>>
>> Is there much difference in how well they work? Any reviews of them? Or
>> should one just go for the lowest price?

Related resources
May 6, 2005 12:27:55 AM

On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:30:54 +0200, "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com>
wrote:

>Hi, where can I get the widcomm drivers?
>
>TIA

I think you can get what you need from this gentleman's BLOG:

http://brobin111.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

The drivers are supplied with the device and are licenced to specific
models. In theory the drivers that come with "A" will not work (without some
low level changes) with device "B".

"Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
> Hi, where can I get the widcomm drivers?
>
> TIA
>
> --
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> The cheaper ones tend not to have updates - although the last big update
>> for dongles based on Widcomm software was something like 9 months ago. At
>> least make sure you're getting something with drivers Widcomm 1.4 and up.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>>

>> "MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> There seem to be many models of these, with prices ranging from $12
>>> after
>>> rebate ($22 with $10 rebate, I think the brand was Trend Micro, not
>>> sure),
>>> to $49 or so.
>>>
>>> Is there much difference in how well they work? Any reviews of them? Or
>>> should one just go for the lowest price?

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:27:35 PM

> The drivers are supplied with the device and are licenced to specific
> models. In theory the drivers that come with "A" will not work
> (without some low level changes) with device "B".

When can we expect MICROSOFT drivers for the MICROSOFT bluetooth devices
that work with MICROSOFT ActiveSync?
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:17:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

There are a set of DELL v3 drivers that are kicking about that have been
patched so that they work with pretty much most adapters. Far better support
for audio [including outgoing which the inbuilt XP SP2 ones don't].

Do a Google search for Jon's Guides and you'll find details there...

Cheers,

David

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> The drivers are supplied with the device and are licenced to specific
> models. In theory the drivers that come with "A" will not work (without
> some low level changes) with device "B".

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>

> "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, where can I get the widcomm drivers?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:e71XfzPUFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> The cheaper ones tend not to have updates - although the last big update
>>> for dongles based on Widcomm software was something like 9 months ago.
>>> At least make sure you're getting something with drivers Widcomm 1.4 and
>>> up.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>>> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>>>

>>> "MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:37:44 PM

"Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>
>> The drivers are supplied with the device and are licenced to specific
>> models. In theory the drivers that come with "A" will not work
>> (without some low level changes) with device "B".
>
> When can we expect MICROSOFT drivers for the MICROSOFT bluetooth devices
> that work with MICROSOFT ActiveSync?

Service Pack 2 does:

Seriously, you should change the return-address on your posts - the POTUS is
probably being inundated with spam :)

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:37:45 PM

news:o FJ9R2fUFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>>
>>> The drivers are supplied with the device and are licenced to
>>> specific models. In theory the drivers that come with "A" will not
>>> work (without some low level changes) with device "B".
>>
>> When can we expect MICROSOFT drivers for the MICROSOFT bluetooth
>> devices that work with MICROSOFT ActiveSync?
>
> Service Pack 2 does:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163

If it WORKED I wouldn't be ASKING for a version that WORKED now WOULD I?

I get to the point where ActiveStink is looking for devices, and
momentarily my phone shows as "Connected" under "Bluetooth Devices". Then
"Connected" goes away and ActiveStink tells me it can't find any devices.

Wanna try again with something helpful, rather than the party line?
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 10:28:06 PM

Excellent is working great Thanks

--

"razor" <notvalidaddress@invalid.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:30:54 +0200, "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, where can I get the widcomm drivers?
>>
>>TIA
>
> I think you can get what you need from this gentleman's BLOG:
>
> http://brobin111.blogspot.com/

May 6, 2005 10:28:07 PM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:28:06 +0200, "Sabroson" <TePre@esPato.com>
wrote:

>Excellent is working great Thanks

Glad it worked for you. I get a kick out reading all the convoluted
replies that were of no help when the shortest and easiest is :-)
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:21:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

How about telling you that my MPX220 Smartphone and my Dell X50 both AS just
fine over the BT installation that came with my MS BT keyboard and Mouse.
My friends X30 had no problem with AS over BT using a Billionton USB dongle
and nothing but what MS installed when we plugged it in, i.e the MS stack.
That's not party line, that's just fact.

I set up the MPX220 again today in fact. ( have rebuilt the PC and phone
since last wanting to sync that way) Set up a BT serial port in the PC BT
manager, and then set that comm port in AS for serial sync. Paired the
phone and PC, by turning on discovery on the PC and finding it from the
phone. Once paired, went to AS on the phone and selected the menu to Sync
via BT. Bada-bing bada-boom, it sync'd (sank). From that point on I just
have to initiate it from AS on the phone.

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
> news:o FJ9R2fUFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>
>> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

>>> When can we expect MICROSOFT drivers for the MICROSOFT bluetooth
>>> devices that work with MICROSOFT ActiveSync?
>>
>> Service Pack 2 does:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163
>
> If it WORKED I wouldn't be ASKING for a version that WORKED now WOULD I?
>
> I get to the point where ActiveStink is looking for devices, and
> momentarily my phone shows as "Connected" under "Bluetooth Devices". Then
> "Connected" goes away and ActiveStink tells me it can't find any devices.
>
> Wanna try again with something helpful, rather than the party line?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:34:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.comp.periphs,comp.periphs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

"Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
> news:o FJ9R2fUFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>
>> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

>>> When can we expect MICROSOFT drivers for the MICROSOFT bluetooth
>>> devices that work with MICROSOFT ActiveSync?
>>
>> Service Pack 2 does:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163
>
> If it WORKED I wouldn't be ASKING for a version that WORKED now WOULD I?
>
> I get to the point where ActiveStink is looking for devices, and
> momentarily my phone shows as "Connected" under "Bluetooth Devices". Then
> "Connected" goes away and ActiveStink tells me it can't find any devices.
>
> Wanna try again with something helpful, rather than the party line?

Hmmm. Just because it didn't work for your configuration it doens't mean it
does not work at all.

It's not a party line - check the article and it shows how it works. Your
configuraiont may have ActiveSync configured to listen on the wrong port.
Your configuration may have the Windows XP firewall or any other firewall
blocking communications. Your configuration may have the Bluetooth COM port
on a number over 9.

There are more items that can cause the problem you have described.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:34:56 AM

news:o 9hHQBvUFHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> news:o FJ9R2fUFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>>
>>> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message

>>> Service Pack 2 does:
>>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163
>>
>> If it WORKED I wouldn't be ASKING for a version that WORKED now WOULD
>> I?
>>
>> I get to the point where ActiveStink is looking for devices, and
>> momentarily my phone shows as "Connected" under "Bluetooth Devices".
>> Then "Connected" goes away and ActiveStink tells me it can't find any
>> devices.
>>
>> Wanna try again with something helpful, rather than the party line?
>
> Hmmm. Just because it didn't work for your configuration it doens't
> mean it does not work at all.
>
> It's not a party line - check the article and it shows how it works.
> Your configuraiont may have ActiveSync configured to listen on the
> wrong port.

Nope... matches the port assigned by BT.

> Your configuration may have the Windows XP firewall or any
> other firewall blocking communications.

Disabled Windows firewall.

> Your configuration may have
> the Bluetooth COM port on a number over 9.

3 !> 9

So you tried to blame it on "my configuration" 3 times and my
configuration isn't to blame. Any more ideas?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:51:57 PM

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
> news:o 9hHQBvUFHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>
>> "Kubez" <president@whitehouse.gov> wrote in message
>>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>>> news:o FJ9R2fUFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

>>> If it WORKED I wouldn't be ASKING for a version that WORKED now WOULD
>>> I?
>>>
>>> I get to the point where ActiveStink is looking for devices, and
>>> momentarily my phone shows as "Connected" under "Bluetooth Devices".
>>> Then "Connected" goes away and ActiveStink tells me it can't find any
>>> devices.
>>>
>>> Wanna try again with something helpful, rather than the party line?
>>
>> Hmmm. Just because it didn't work for your configuration it doens't
>> mean it does not work at all.
>>
>> It's not a party line - check the article and it shows how it works.
>> Your configuraiont may have ActiveSync configured to listen on the
>> wrong port.
>
> Nope... matches the port assigned by BT.
>
>> Your configuration may have the Windows XP firewall or any
>> other firewall blocking communications.
>
> Disabled Windows firewall.
>
>> Your configuration may have
>> the Bluetooth COM port on a number over 9.
>
> 3 !> 9
>
> So you tried to blame it on "my configuration" 3 times and my
> configuration isn't to blame. Any more ideas?

It is not blaming - it's calling investigating the presence of issues that
are known to cause problems.

!