AJ20011

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hello

I have a Dell Vostro 400, it's pretty old now, about 3-4 years, currently has an E6550 2.33Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, No Graphics card lol, so doesn't really stand up to much these days,

Question is, if I upgrade CPU to E8400 3Ghz and bung in a GTX560Ti, would that be okay to play BF3, Skyrim these modern games etc?

or is the CPU upgrade going to bottleneck the GPU?

Btw I can't OC the CPU because its a Dell mobo, pretty sure anyway,

comments guys?

Thanks!

AJ

Computers with e 8400's do game well still . The newer processors are more powerful but games are limited by the graphics card so older processors make less of a difference than some people will tell you .
You would need to check the mb can run an e8400
and that the power supply is adequate for the graphics card .

It may also be cheaper to replace cpu/mb/RAM with new hardware and use the vostro case

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
If you have a PCIe slot, the easiest solution would be to get a 5570. That should work with current power supply, and run games on medium settings.

A 6950 costs the same as the 560 TI and performs better.

As for what you can move up to, I would suggest you look here

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19249074.aspx

It is on the DELL boards posted by someone else with the same exact question.

- Edit - The DELL PSUs are pretty POS and won't be able to run real video cards. Not even close to a 560TI, much less the 6950. You will definitely want to change this out if you implement your plan. However, aftermarket PSUs may not fit the DELL case, keep in mind that you may need some metal cutters.