Solved

CPU Upgrade for ASUS G73JH

I was thinking of upgrading my ASUS G73 notebook with the Core i7 920XM which I can get for around $270 on ebay. I currently have a Core i7 720QM. Is there enough of a difference between these two CPUs to justify paying that much money?

Also, if I upgrade how much hotter will the CPU run? Will I have to upgrade the cooling or am I fine with what came in it?

My power supply that came with it is 150watts, I was also wondering if that would be enough.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade asus g73jh
  1. Best answer
    Not worth the money for an extra 2mb l3 cache, 400mhz cpu speed and the extra 10w TDP could be a big issue.
  2. Best answer selected by Infikiran.
  3. das_stig said:
    Not worth the money for an extra 2mb l3 cache, 400mhz cpu speed and the extra 10w TDP could be a big issue.


    Guess I'll just stick with what I have then. Thanks.

    Just makes me sick when I think about how last year if I had waited one month I could have gotten a laptop with sandy bridge.
  4. I know this is an old thread but I have the same laptop with the 920XM 12GB ram a SSD, a hybrid drive and a 3rd drive and am looking at upgrading the gpu to a 2GB 6000 edition dont remeber which model off the top my head, you just need to dump the stock 150w psu that came with it and get a Targus 180w and your gold this thing runs like a dream
  5. FPSmadMEDIC said:
    I know this is an old thread but I have the same laptop with the 920XM 12GB ram a SSD, a hybrid drive and a 3rd drive and am looking at upgrading the gpu to a 2GB 6000 edition dont remeber which model off the top my head, you just need to dump the stock 150w psu that came with it and get a Targus 180w and your gold this thing runs like a dream



    Ditto. Also have the 920XM and have used the stock power supply with no issue… I would love to get a ssd swap and have also investigated a newer gpu and have seen a youtube video of an upgrade in th 6700 series
  6. * 6970
  7. indywally said:
    * 6970


    Ya it runs nice with an ssd heres my set up with the Targus 180w upgrade psu:
    i7 920XM
    5870m Looking to upgrade :D
    12GB DDR3 2x4GB + 2x2GB
    OS Drive Samsung 840 120GB SSD
    Secondary Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive
    3rd HDD in CD/Rom Replacement Bay Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 (1TB) SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB
    Secondary Monitor X2gen 1440x900 DVI to HDMI Port

    Runs BF3 at ok settings Skyrims is nice, Adobe Master Suite and zBrush work smooth, Cinema 4D as well.
    I should add that it tops out around 72c on gpu under the most intensive games and I see low 80's on my cpu when beating it up, I just open it up repaste and blow it out once ever 3 months.
  8. FPSmadMEDIC said:
    indywally said:
    * 6970


    Ya it runs nice with an ssd heres my set up with the Targus 180w upgrade psu:
    i7 920XM
    5870m Looking to upgrade :D
    12GB DDR3 2x4GB + 2x2GB
    OS Drive Samsung 840 120GB SSD
    Secondary Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive
    3rd HDD in CD/Rom Replacement Bay Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 (1TB) SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB
    Secondary Monitor X2gen 1440x900 DVI to HDMI Port

    Runs BF3 at ok settings Skyrims is nice, Adobe Master Suite and zBrush work smooth, Cinema 4D as well.
    I should add that it tops out around 72c on gpu under the most intensive games and I see low 80's on my cpu when beating it up, I just open it up repaste and blow it out once ever 3 months.


    Hello, I am looking to upgrade my G73JH-A1 with the i7 920XM as well. Did you use the Stock CPU Heatsink and Fan for it or are you using a different cooling solution for it?
  9. Robbmrp said:
    FPSmadMEDIC said:
    indywally said:
    * 6970


    Ya it runs nice with an ssd heres my set up with the Targus 180w upgrade psu:
    i7 920XM
    5870m Looking to upgrade :D
    12GB DDR3 2x4GB + 2x2GB
    OS Drive Samsung 840 120GB SSD
    Secondary Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive
    3rd HDD in CD/Rom Replacement Bay Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 (1TB) SATA/300 5400RPM 8MB
    Secondary Monitor X2gen 1440x900 DVI to HDMI Port

    Runs BF3 at ok settings Skyrims is nice, Adobe Master Suite and zBrush work smooth, Cinema 4D as well.
    I should add that it tops out around 72c on gpu under the most intensive games and I see low 80's on my cpu when beating it up, I just open it up repaste and blow it out once ever 3 months.


    Hello, I am looking to upgrade my G73JH-A1 with the i7 920XM as well. Did you use the Stock CPU Heatsink and Fan for it or are you using a different cooling solution for it?


    Oh wow sorry I missed this been really busy lately and lost track of Tom's for a while. Yes I was using the stock heat sink. I didnt have any temp problems but they were high until I put it on a good 17.5" cooling pad then the temps were well within specs topping 70c ish if I remember right. I sold the laptop about a year ago lol.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Asus Intel i7