Sign in with
Your question

GB x58-UD3 - PC randomnly Turns off - Multiple Boot Issues - Stumped!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2013 7:14:55 PM

Hi everyone! After hours of troubleshooting, reading forums, and the GB guide, I still have nothing, and my problem has been pretty unique; noone has had the same situation, as my PC has been working great for more than year.

Firstly, Built the PC ~2 years ago, GB ux58 ud3 mobo, Corsair vengance 12 gb ram, I7 CPU, Coolermaster silent pro 800 w, nvdia GTX 570.

IT has ran like a champ, until about 2 months ago. Started getting "detecting Dram" boot loops. At first only occasionally, then up until recently, everytime the CPU boots, it has had to restart 3-4 time to finally get to windows.

This was annoying, but I could deal.

Last night, though, the PC froze up on me 3 times during processor intensive things, so i decided to finally start chasing this down. Little did I know...

So after reading about "detecting DRAM" boot loop, I reseated CPU/RAM, and consequentially added a new HDD to the mix to start backing up for a full reinstall. Fired it up, black screen, no video. Great.

Well, thanks to Tomshardware, I chased that down ( reseating Ram got me video back, yah!) but now a bigger problem....

PC now turns completely off anywhere between 5 secs to a minute after starting. I've made it as far as Windows Login. I've followed the GB to the tee (minus having a CPU speaker) LEDs on the mobo stay on. I've tried multiple Ram configurations (single sticks in each slot, trying each stick separately) I checked CPU pins, nothings bent. Dunno about thermal paste though ( it doesn't look like there's much)

I'm stumped. I haven't tired a new PSU yet, but all of this hardware has been working great together up until now. Could the CPU be overheating? In BIOS I was watching the temp rise steadily from 100c to 125 c prior to it shutting down.

Please enlighten me someone!
January 3, 2013 7:31:47 PM

Also - I've reset Cmos (using switch on back, and removing the battery overnight) I've unhooked everything (including boot drive) and it still shuts down.
m
l
January 3, 2013 7:51:23 PM

Hopefully you mean 100-125 F, not C. Can you get access to some sort of boot/utility CD to see if it boots right that way. If you really are seeing CPU temps over 100 C than that is your problem.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 8:04:22 PM

Is your CPU cooler properly mounted on the CPU? Is it the stock Intel cooler? They are notorious for having problems with the CPU latches not holding right.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 12:45:01 AM

that was really hot 125C
m
l
January 4, 2013 5:03:42 AM

Yep, so I just got into bios to confirm and was able to hang out on PC Health Status until it turned off and watch the temps, and guess what... I watched the CPU skyrocket to 70 C, That's right Celsius, and steadily rise up till 125C, then she shuts off. So we got the culprit.

Yes I have a Standard Intel Cooler. Yes it's a bitch to secure, and though it seems snug, I can surely say whether it is on correct.

Question is , what's next? Is my CPU fried or is the shutting off of the machine protecting it?

Would that honestly make those temps happen though, simply it not seated right? Any Suggestions on how to seat it/know it's seated correctly?

Thermal paste also looks pretty lacking, though I wouldn't know what a quality "thermal" job looks like.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 12:46:18 AM

need to down your temperature with new cooler, or check the old cooler if it is no more getting close to the surface of your cpu to down the temp efficiently.
m
l
!