Can you diagnose this problem?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 1:55:36 PM

Hi all,

I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
support, but have not heard back.

I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
seen here:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...

The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.

Any thoughts?

More about : diagnose problem

April 27, 2005 2:25:53 PM

Looks like pink dust on the sensor! No really that looks like dust on
the sensor. Is it more visible at high f-stop number?

BNiizawa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
> much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
> support, but have not heard back.
>
> I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
> colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
> seen here:
>
> http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...
>
> The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
> whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.
>
> Any thoughts?

> : the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:00:28 PM

On Apr 27 2005 10:25 AM, paul wrote:

> Looks like pink dust on the sensor! No really that looks like dust on
> the sensor. Is it more visible at high f-stop number?

Hmm...not sure, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

April 27, 2005 4:33:01 PM

BNiizawa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
> much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
> support, but have not heard back.
>
> I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
> colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
> seen here:
>
> http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...
>
> The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
> whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.
>
> Any thoughts?

> : the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com

This appears to be a flaw in the sensor. Can you determine when it
first appeared? Knowing what kind of pictures you were taking at that
time would help. As David Taylor wrote, exposure to the sun could
certainly do damage to the sensor, though I would expect it to be to the
CCD itself. The fact that it is colored suggests that if it were
damaged by light, the light could have been more blue-green, leaving
behind functioning pixels that result in a pink color when exposed to
white light. Are you ever around lasers, especially green laser
pointers? Alternatively,and more likely, the green-sensitive pixels are
in an absolute sense more sensitive to light and absorb more energy and
thus are damaged more effectively. In this case the sun was a likely
culprit.

It would be interesting to expose to uniform red, green,and blue pieces
of paper (best of all without changing the standard white balance). I
predict that on the green and/or blue paper exposures, the spot will be
much more pronounced, while it could be harder to see on the red paper.
It definitely is not anything to do with the lens or shutter, and if
it's software, it's incredibly bizarre. I suppose a transfer register
could be damaged, but the colored-paper test will rule that out. If the
colored paper test goes as I suggest, then I believe the only way you
could fix this is with a new sensor. That fix would cost more than a
new camera with more capability that this camera, assuming they would
even be be willing to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:15:06 PM

On Apr 27 2005 12:33 PM, Joseph Miller wrote:

> If the colored paper test goes as I suggest, then I believe the only way you
> could fix this is with a new sensor. That fix would cost more than a
> new camera with more capability that this camera, assuming they would
> even be be willing to fix it.

I had a feeling this might be the case. :-( Thanks for the suggestion - I
should be able to dig up some colored paper and give this a shot.

-----
April 27, 2005 9:36:01 PM

BNiizawa wrote:
[]
> http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...
>
> The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
> whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.

A burn in the colour filter in front of the sensor due to too much
exposure to the sun, would be my first suggestion.

David
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:40:50 PM

"BNiizawa" <beandoggerel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
> much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
> support, but have not heard back.
>
> I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
> colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
> seen here:
>
> http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...
>
> The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
> whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.
>
> Any thoughts?

could be (or of been) a spot of moisture on the IR filter infront of the CCD
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:29:44 AM

"BNiizawa" <beandoggerel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
> much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
> support, but have not heard back.
>
> I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
> colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
> seen here:
>
> http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...

If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
something physically on your sensor.

That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:16:34 PM

On Apr 27 2005 10:29 PM, Mark² wrote:

> "BNiizawa" <beandoggerel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
> > much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
> > support, but have not heard back.
> >
> > I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
> > colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
> > seen here:
> >
> > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/white...
>
> If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
> resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
> something physically on your sensor.
>
> That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.

No prob...it'll be up sometime tomorrow (4/29).

April 29, 2005 3:21:34 AM

On Apr 27 2005 10:29 PM, Mark² wrote:

> If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
> resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
> something physically on your sensor.
>
> That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.

OK, here's another shot taken at max resolution and cropped:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/spot....

-------