Fairly Cheap Gaming Build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2011 5:37:15 PM

Hi everyone, a friend showed me to this site for advice on my first build. I'm somewhat knowledgeable but as always, the #1 problem to overcome is choosing parts. I've got a case in mind, and it comes with a power supply for the price, now I just need to figure out how to get the best I can for what I have. I'll be buying the parts incrementally, so I have a little leeway when it comes to money, but around $500 is what I'm looking for. A little bit over that isn't terrible though. I'm just looking for it to play some decent games comfortably, nothing too powerful.

Case+PSU= http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

While browsing the forums, I was shown this MB that wouldn't be too bad, but again, still a bit of a noob when it comes to picking parts, I'm more than open to alternative suggestions.

MB= http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any help is greatly appreciated. :) 

*Edit: I have the OS/monitor/keyboard/and mouse covered, so those aren't any problem whatsoever. Just looking for internal hardware advice.

More about : fairly cheap gaming build

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2011 5:46:29 PM

I would suggest you just leave everything to the experts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock...

This is the best gaming PC you will get under $500.

You won't be sorry if you just get what they got part for part.

- Edit -

The only thing with that is if you are going to get Windows 7, push the RAM up to 2 x 4GB sticks instead of 2x2GB sticks.
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2011 5:57:01 PM

+1 the SBM is a great outline. However, I'd keep the mobo you posted. You will also notice the prices of HDDs has gone up which may prove to be a problem.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 6:32:35 PM

@Raiddinn, it looks good yes, but the case that I posted that I've been looking at comes a bit cheaper than the one there and it's a slightly more powerful PSU as well, would my case not be slightly more beneficial? (And I have an OS disc for Windows 7, so I probably would have slightly more RAM)

and @FinnerousPJ, you suggest the components from the SBM but exchange their MB for the one I posted? All of the hardware from that would be compatible?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2011 6:58:53 PM

Rosewill isn't a name that is suggested around here a lot, but I looked at a Rosewill 600w and it did give out 600w.

It was a much dirtier 600w than the 600w from the brands that people usually suggest here, but still within specs.

It may do well enough.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2011 7:22:25 PM

Atomsk648 said:
@Raiddinn, it looks good yes, but the case that I posted that I've been looking at comes a bit cheaper than the one there and it's a slightly more powerful PSU as well, would my case not be slightly more beneficial? (And I have an OS disc for Windows 7, so I probably would have slightly more RAM)

and @FinnerousPJ, you suggest the components from the SBM but exchange their MB for the one I posted? All of the hardware from that would be compatible?

Yes, and yes.
m
l
November 26, 2011 7:23:51 PM

@Raiddinn, Well the 500w that comes with the case I've been looking at is a lot better than the old 2002 factory standard 250w from Dell that I'm using at this very moment. I don't need it to be perfect, just something to keep me happy for the next couple years until I can build a beast :) 

and @FinneousPJ, thanks for the help :)  I will use the SBM then with the Case/PSU, and Mobo modified.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2011 7:31:08 PM

Consider 8 GB RAM if you can afford it, it's not much and will work as additional future proofing.
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:52:13 AM

Best answer selected by Atomsk648.
m
l
!