Nov 26, 2011
Hey guys,

A couple of days ago I've put together a HTPC with the following components:
- Motherboard: Asrock A75-HVS
- CPU: AMD A4-3400
- RAM: Corsair 4GB - 1333MHz
- HDD: Samsung Eco Green 2TB - 5400 rpm
- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power L7 300 Watt

When I first started it up, the pc booted up correctly (and it keeps running) and the case / CPU fans started spinning, but I didn't get any video output. The monitor goes into standby mode after about 5 seconds, 'cause it doesn't pick up any signal at all.

What I've tried:
- 2 different monitors
- both the VGA out as the HDMI out
- CMOS reset / battery in - out
- reassembling all the components

Is there anything I'm missing?
To be honest: it's my first build in years, but I like to think that I know what I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

microfi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

There is only 1 RAM stick.
I've tried booting it without an HDD, but no luck.

Thank you for the suggestions!

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hmm... I'm not too familiar with the Llano processors, but it looks like your little setup there isn't getting enough power.

Have you tried starting it up with at least a reputable 400w+ power supply? I'm not too sure what the minimum power requirements are on this processor but it really looks like the 300w is holding you back.

microfi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

That would really surprise me.
I chose the LIano setup, because it's so energy efficient ...

toneekay

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the Llanos, however I came to the conclusion of lack of power due to comparing the graphics portion of the processor to a discrete card. In this case, I thought the 5450/6450's were just about the same performance and those require at least a 400w power supply.

microfi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
In the meanwhile, I've been doing a little more research and found these reviews on Newegg.com.
I thought it might be interesting to post them for any future buyers of the same mainboard:

ahal.png

I've ordered a cheap crossfire enabled graphical card, so I can test whether the problems described above are solved by changing bios settings. In best case, I'll be able to use the onboard gpu and the one in the graphical card I ordered together in a crossfire setup.

I'll post results as soon as the card arrives and I've been able to test it.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I'm having the same problem with a similar build and unfortunately I don't have a spare video card that fits. If this fixed the problem can you post the exact steps so I can blindly change the settings? Thanks.

microfi

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Unfortunately, this still didn't solve my problem.
I tried both the VGA and the HDMI-out on the new VGA (tested on both tv and lcd monitor), but neither of them provided a video signal.

Must be either the CPU or Mainboard.
The issue is: I've already sent back both the CPU and Mainboard to the shop I bought them at, and they returned them saying they were both fine :pfff:

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
According to their manual (page 42) the board is preset to PCI-Express video output and can only be changed through the bios. Knowing this I threw in a 3870 (and a 600w corsair PSU for good measure) with no luck. [edit]I also threw an SSD drive with W7 pre-installed to see if it will boot into it; no luck.

Either way I'm calling Asrock customer service [edit][strike]tomorrow[/strike] when they open on Jan 2nd[/edit] to see if they have any suggestions. I'll update here with anything I try; hopefully we can find a solution.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Ok; unfortunately my board is in RMA limbo at the moment; but I did receive a delayed email from AsRock and thought I'd pass it along. Hopefully this helps...
------

Beep Codes
Try to find out if the mainboard will give you any beep code. Try to test the mainboard outside of the computer case. Remove all the devices that connect it on the mainboard. Only device need to connect on the mainboard is the Processor and Processor cooling fan, and make sure all the power connector are fully plug in 12V rail connector (4pin / 8pin), and 24(20)pin ATX power connector. If you do hear the beep code like 1 long beep and follow by 3 short beep. Please insert 1 single memory module, and go ahead insert the video card to the PCI-E slot. Below is the troubleshooting guide, or check the following link for further help.

1 Short Beep
One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps
You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps
Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.

TO CLEAR BIOS
1. Disconnect the two power supplies sources from the main board. (24 Pins /20Pins and 8Pins/4Pins) cables.
Pull the Battery out from its battery Socket.
2. Short the Jumper CLRMOS located closed to the Battery and set for from position 1~2 to 2~3 to clear the Cmos for about 10 seconds.
3. Reverse all steps above.

Turn your PC on and when screen Display appear Press the key F2 to Access to CMOS setup and then press the key F9 to load Optimal Defaults.
Finally press the key F10 to save and exit.

Troubleshooting
1. Connect the Power Switch from your Computer case into Panel 1 Pushbutton.
2. Take your RAM out of your Mainboard as well as video card.
3. Then turn your mainboard on and you should heard 3 beeps (if you heard them please turn it off)
4. Install your RAM and turn your mainboard on you should heard 8 beeps (if you heard them turn it off)
5. Install your video card and turn your mainboard on and you should heard 1 beep (you should have screen display in your monitor)
6. If all steps above passed please put your mainboard inside the case.
Note. Every single time you added a cable from IDE or CD room please turn your PC off and try, if for some reason fail disconnect the last device you install and go one step back to trouble shoot by steps.

NOTE: IDE & OPTICAL CONNECTED
For best compatibility and stability, please make sure your stand alone hard drive on primary IDE has jumper setting to master, and your stand alone optical device on secondary IDE has jumper setting to master, too. Also if you only have one hard drive without any other optical device, please connect the hard drive to primary IDE with its jumper setting to master. Furthermore, for optimizing the transfer rate for the hard drive, we recommend you to connect your hard drive(s) to the primary IDE channel and optical device(s) to the secondary IDE channel .
After you finished loading your OS to HDD you can connect all IDEs Devices

TRENDING THREADS