Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is It Necessary to Test PSU (1st time) Before Booting CPU?

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2012 6:42:16 AM

I've ran into a few horror stories where the PSU fried everything in the case, so I'm a bit nervous.
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 185 à CPUs
February 28, 2012 6:43:00 AM

Nope, go ahead!
Score
February 28, 2012 7:01:17 AM

amuffin said:
Nope, go ahead!

I guess the test is only when the person suspects that the PSU is the problem and not any other CPU components. The odd thing about doing the paper clip test is that my cable doesn't indicate which wire is green and black to do any test. The cables I have are complete black.

Score

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2012 9:56:27 AM

Alyus said:
I guess the test is only when the person suspects that the PSU is the problem and not any other CPU components. The odd thing about doing the paper clip test is that my cable doesn't indicate which wire is green and black to do any test. The cables I have are complete black.

1. The paper clip test just makes sure the psu is not completely DOA, if it passes it doesnt mean it will be functional when connected to a PC.

2. Hold the 20/24 pin main connector with the clip up, facing you ( like you were going to plug it into your mouth ).
Pin 4 ( top row , from the left ) is the green wire, there is a ground on either side of it.
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2012 10:31:24 AM

You aren't really going to get much of a test unless a PSU is loaded, i.e. stuff is plugged into it.
Score
March 5, 2012 11:28:20 PM

Best answer selected by Alyus.
Score
!