PSU requirement for Sli 480's?

Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 480 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 900 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 67 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Since you never specified the Corsair 650W modular power supply model:

The Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M (CMPSU-650TXM), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI...

cpitts1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I wouldn't go with a 750, you would need a really good, expensive one. I would go with like a Corsair HX850, But I like to have a bit of breathing room with my PSU's.

As a person that has dual SLI'd GTX 480's that are a bit overclocked I can tell you that you need 900 watts bare minimum. I have seen mine hit 975 watts in some of the high end benchmarking programs. Normally running Seti they sit at about 725 watts with the CPU and GPU's fully loaded (i7 920 at 3.8G).

For a system using two GeForce GTX 480 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 900 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 67 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin and two 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Since you never specified the Corsair 650W modular power supply model:

The Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M (CMPSU-650TXM), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 480 in 2-way SLI mode.

The Corsair Professional Series HX650W (CMPSU-650HX), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 480 in 2-way SLI mode.

The Corsair Professional Series Gold AX650 (CMPSU-650AX), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 480 in 2-way SLI mode.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX850M, Corsair Professional Series HX850W (CMPSU-850HX) and Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX), with their +12 Volt continuous current rating of 70 Amps and at least four or more (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is the lowest capacity Corsair modular power supplies that meet the power supply requirements if you're not planning on overclocking the CPU and/or GPUs.

Solution
The GeForce GTX 480 has a reputation for being quite a power hungry graphics card.

When you're using two of them in 2-way SLI mode the power consumption of the just the two graphics cards is around 472 Watts during gaming.

You still need to power the CPU, which is next most power hungry component, and the rest of the system like the motherboard, CPU and case cooling fans, disk drives, etc..

Yep, most High end GPU's are very big power users. I think NVIDIA and AMD have been trying to Minimize need of power over the years but obviously no ground breaking yet.... my Buddies over at Lavcopricetech got a Coolermaster Silent Pro 1200watt to do they're SLI when kepler comes out. Yea GPUs love power. I believe Power supplies go all the way up to 2000 watt and when you get that high, your gonna need to unplug everything from the power outlets in your house just to run your computer and not blow a fuse or have a high power bill

the fact that the 480's draw individually 250 watts on its own at peak load and near 300 watts under benching load which is all done at stock clocks

there is one guy on another forum who managed to pull over 900 watts dc (1080 watts ac) load from his psu with 2 480's clocked to 900 core and and i7 930 clocked to 4ghz during furmark, he clocked higher after he got water cooling and maxed his 1000watt psu to the point of it shutting down

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
a single gtx 480 can take up just over 450 watts. id suggest getting sli gtx 560. its max is 150W and is just slightly worse then a 480. if you get a 560 ti 448, that is better than a 480 and its max is 210W. you could run those sli with 650 maybe depending on all your other specs. id just go with 700W just incase. :lol: