Sign in with
Your question

Broken sata port, Damaged motherboard?

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2012 10:25:58 AM

Just yesterday i got a new gigabyte motherboard. Due to upgrading from ddr2 to ddr3 and not currently having any ddr3 ram i am not able to test it.

The problem is that i set up the mobo in the case and plugged the hard drive in, i went to get some food so i just left the hdd on top on the case. When i came back i tripped over the sata cable. Due to it having a clip it didnt come out and instead it ripped the sata connecter out taking 2 or 3 of the pins with it. I wasnt to worried about this as i only need one sata connector. But one of my mates said that due to it being a circuit and all being connected together the whole mobo may not work. I disagree with him but im just wondering if you guys could give me some clarification.

Thanks in advance :) 
February 28, 2012 11:04:04 AM

Best thing to do it to see if your warranty covers accidental damage.

Technical yes it should still work, but there are so many different types of motherboard Its hard to say =/
Related resources
a c 83 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 1:07:34 PM

Play dumb and RMA to Gigbayte or supplier, stating damaged in transit. ;) 
February 28, 2012 3:00:43 PM

das_stig said:
Play dumb and RMA to Gigbayte or supplier, stating damaged in transit. ;) 

Well i was thinking of that but im getting ram tomorrow and really want to have the computer up and running so if it works fine then i really dont care about a broken sata connector. I was just wondering if it could damage the whole motherboard
February 28, 2012 4:06:50 PM

As long as you didn't didn't damage any of the traces in the motherboard and ensure that any bent pins are not touching each other or anything nearby, there's nothing to stop you from simply not using those SATA ports.
February 28, 2012 5:03:12 PM

Well about 3 of the pins broke off and the rest are completley bent....
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:04:14 PM

should be ok as already said if no traces damaged or pins touching each other

as to rma--its a bit naughty if you broke it to ask for an rma--why do people think if its a company

then its ok to do it?

do you like it when people rip you off?

if you break it then you should take the consequences

some retailers actually offer insurance in case you damage components during installation for a

couple of quid

such as scan.co.uk
February 29, 2012 7:48:33 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
should be ok as already said if no traces damaged or pins touching each other

as to rma--its a bit naughty if you broke it to ask for an rma--why do people think if its a company

then its ok to do it?

do you like it when people rip you off?

if you break it then you should take the consequences

some retailers actually offer insurance in case you damage components during installation for a

couple of quid

such as scan.co.uk

Thanks for the help. I wasnt really going to rip them off, I looked and the warrenty covers accidental damage
!