Sign in with
Your question

Problem with PC

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2011 6:54:42 PM

Hi,

I've recently put together my own PC for the first time. Everything work almost as perfect, but there is one problem.
My PC like to instantly shut down, like the power goes off to everything. This happen only when i play Battlefield 3 and sometime Skyrim.
Someday it shut off like twice or 3 times, someday it doesn't and I can not figure out what the problem is.
I've ran memory test, check power supply and all that i can think of.
I do OC my PC to play Battlefield 3 sometime, it seem to help but it still shut off now and then.

Please leave any comment and suggestion. It would be a great help.

This is my hardware for my PC.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942
Mobo: ASUS P8z68-V PRO
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti x 2
Window 7 Home Premium 64 bit
OCZ Vertest 3 120GB (OS)
WDC Black (Storage)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1000W

Cooling

Noctua NH-D14
Scythe Ulta Kaze 120 x 38mm Case Fan (45.90dBa, 133.6CFM) x 2
Use one of them for GPU cooling and another for top fan exhaust.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

More about : problem

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2011 7:08:04 PM

All that I can think is that it may be related to temperatures. Load up HW Monitor and do a furmark stress test and leave it on for a long time.

Check in on it every few minutes and note the current temps.

If I am right, it will shut off from this at very high temps on either the processor or the video card.
m
l
November 27, 2011 12:57:47 AM

Awesome thanks, that's Narrow it down quite a bit. I am about 90% sure now it's my thermal paste. I don't think i put enough on last time.
I ran HW monitor and when I run BF 3 i have it set to Max on everything. Each of my CPU core temp goes up about 25-35F.

Another question about Furmark Stress test. Does it only test 1 GPU? I can;t seem to find the setting for it to test my 2nd one.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2011 3:48:52 AM

Furmark test show my GPU run at max heat at between 77-85C. Ran it for full half hour, didn't change much between numbers.
On my CPU, HW monitor show my temp run about between 90-110F on each core. Which i thought was not really stressing my GPU enough.
When i run Battlefield 3 each one of the core run about 110-140F. Usually peak about 135F when loading maps. When i play it stay about 110-120F.

New CPUID HW monitor does show in both F and C now :) 
m
l
November 27, 2011 2:02:42 PM

If your processor cores get up to 140F that could very easily cause shut downs that are intended to avoid melt downs.

Do try reapplying paste on the processor and let us know how it turns out.
m
l
November 29, 2011 10:00:48 PM

I took the CPU Fan off and look at the paste, it was kind of not enough. for some reason it seem a little thin and dry. so i clean that off and put first layer in and run my PC for about a day. Then take it off and put another layer on. Now its working like a champ. My CPU now running between 100-110 under full loaded.
m
l
November 29, 2011 11:22:51 PM

Glad we could help you get things under control.
m
l
November 30, 2011 10:54:06 AM

Thank you for everyone help. Now i just move my computer table right next to the window, well my tower at least. Since i live in South Dakota, a little open notch in the window can cool down my PC hella lot better :bounce: 
m
l
December 2, 2011 9:59:53 PM

Well, the problem is back. I have no clue how to fix this anymore.
m
l
December 3, 2011 2:27:37 AM

Is your OCZ a multi-rail PSU?

If so, are you sure you aren't overloading a single rail with the way you have things configured?

If you could spell out what you have connected to which 12v wires, that might help.
m
l
!