Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help choosing

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2011 10:27:51 PM

Preferred Websites for Parts: Either Newegg or Tigerdirect (compUSA)

I'm planning to build a new gaming computer within the next few months. This will be my first PC build on my own, but I know a bit about it.
I have the easy things; speakers, monitor (1280x800), keyboard, and mouse.
I don't have a real budget, but I don't want anything too pricey.

I've looked up things to start, like a mobo and processor, but am having the hardest time deciding.
I think that I'm going with an ASUS M4N75TD motherboard and AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition processor. After that I'm torn.

From my current (soon-to-be old) computer, I have a 500 gb hard drive, so a new one isn't really needed.
I know that I need 8gb RAM total on the new pc for the games that I play. For that I am considering 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600, thoughts?

Also from my current pc, I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600 GSO, would that need to be updated?

Lastly, I need a good power supply. Maybe CORSAIR TX750 V2 750W ?
I plan to get a Coolermaster Storm Scout or something similar for the case, but that can be decided afterwards.

Any suggestions without majorly changing plans would help me greatly. Thanks!

More about : choosing

November 26, 2011 11:42:44 PM

whats your budget?
m
l
November 26, 2011 11:43:32 PM

oh sorry, i see you said you didnt have a budget - what might be considered too pricey for ya? just a ball park? $1,000? $600? $800?
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 11:44:08 PM

I'm not sure of an exact budget, but 700-ish would be the most I'd probably pay
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:15:06 AM

sorry i been kinda busy , but im at the computer now for a while, do you prefer nvidia then or ati graphics?
m
l

Best solution

November 27, 2011 1:37:48 AM

HeatherSNS said:
Preferred Websites for Parts: Either Newegg or Tigerdirect (compUSA)

I'm planning to build a new gaming computer within the next few months. This will be my first PC build on my own, but I know a bit about it.
I have the easy things; speakers, monitor (1280x800), keyboard, and mouse.
I don't have a real budget, but I don't want anything too pricey.

I've looked up things to start, like a mobo and processor, but am having the hardest time deciding.
I think that I'm going with an ASUS M4N75TD motherboard and AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition processor. After that I'm torn.

From my current (soon-to-be old) computer, I have a 500 gb hard drive, so a new one isn't really needed.
I know that I need 8gb RAM total on the new pc for the games that I play. For that I am considering 2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600, thoughts?

Also from my current pc, I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600 GSO, would that need to be updated?

Lastly, I need a good power supply. Maybe CORSAIR TX750 V2 750W ?
I plan to get a Coolermaster Storm Scout or something similar for the case, but that can be decided afterwards.

Any suggestions without majorly changing plans would help me greatly. Thanks!

the video card would probably need to be upgraded, a 9600 gso is pretty outdated now

8gb of ram would be a good amount for gaming, and i assume you already have an operating system?

the coolermaster storm scout is alright, it only comes with i think 2 fans or maybe just 1? and no external usb 3 ports, but it has a nice window if your into that sort of thing

i put something together for you here, now i love g.skill ram as much as the next guy, but the sticks i was thinking of were currently out of stock, and this corsair ram im listing is on the motherboard memory support list so you know it will work (as long as the ram doesnt come dead on arrival from newegg which can happen some times)

how about this build?

DVDRW/CDRW Drive: Samsung SATA Burner

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 560Ti

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

Case/Power Supply: Rosewill GEAR X3 Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case & Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified PSU

CPU/Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard & AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Total: $601.18 w/ shipping

i think youd be pretty happy with that build, 3 case fans come standard with the Rosewill case, it even has an external usb 3.0 port, water cooling grommets, its big enough to fit large video cards as well.

since this motherboard only supports crossfireX, you could instead buy a Radeon HD 6950 or 6970 depending on your price limit, and even add a second one later for even more graphics power -- although id recommend if you go a dual video card route to buy a bigger power supply unit now, a 750 corsair you had picked out is a fine choice!
November 27, 2011 12:28:06 PM

Best answer selected by HeatherSNS.
m
l
!