Is it possible to have two video cards at once?

G

If I put a second video card in my system and a monitor attached to it, will it work properly? I know I probably won't get the DualHead effect but will it work?

Agp card: TNT2 m64
second card: Cirrus Logic 5430 pci 1meg

with winme

G

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I know it can be done. I heard that they both have to be PCI, but I can't tell you whether that is mandatory. A friend of mine reflashed my matrox millenium II, by doing just that - puttting two video cards on the board. My matrox was flashed wrong and wouldn't show anything, hence could not be reflashed on a one-video-card-only system. So by, having two video cards in the system, it could boot and when attempting a reflash, the program is smart enough to reflash the proper video card.

I also think that the bios setting "Init Display First" is for. You can select which video card will boot first, PCI or AGP.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
yes you can have 2 vcard. this was common in the old days when 3d card were just coming out. i don't think you can have 2 with your card. i know the vodoo2's can be linked together but not the tnt's

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

G

Actually it is possible to have 2 video cards, and not the old style voodoo2 cards. The voodoo2 cards could not display on their own. THey had to be linked to an existing display card.

In the case I described, the person had a tnt card in the system and the millenium went in as well so you could have two displays at the same time.