Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for bios: Asus EAH6970 DCII (bios switch position 2)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 30, 2011 5:45:55 PM

I know there is EAH6970 DCII bios in Tech Power UP! VGA BIOS collection, but it is from bios switch position 1. I need bios from switch position 2, because I need dual-link DVI.

I would mod my EAH6950 DCII with that. Both bioses in this card is writeable. (tested)

Currently I have 6950 bios with shaders opened (switch 2 position) , but I can't get my card stable at 6970 clockspeeds with 1.1V. Asus smartdoctor makes Windows unstable and Afterburner won't change voltage.
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 30, 2011 6:24:29 PM

Did you forget to make a backup of your bios before doing the flash?
September 30, 2011 7:05:30 PM

No, I have Asus EAH6950 DCII and backup of original bios. I am looking for Asus EAH6970 DCII bios (switch position 2, dual link DVI), because 6950 bios has GPU voltage 1.1V and 6970 1.175V.

Asus SmartDoctor is only software for changing voltage, but it is very buggy and it makes random BSODs etc..
Related resources
September 30, 2011 7:47:10 PM

This is what I suggest. Since you have a non reference card, use RBE to mod your saved bios (opening the shadders) and then WinFlash the modded bios. You will then have a bios with shaders open, and all other features of the original bios. You do not want a 6970 bios. Also modded 6950's are not the same as a 6970. The memory timmings are different as are other parameters. It is incorrect to think of the modded card as a 6970. It is still a 6950 but with increased shadder size. I have a HIS running at 880/1320 shadders unlocked. The only thing I needed to do was set Power control in CCC to max +20%.
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 30, 2011 9:01:40 PM

Dogsnake said:
This is what I suggest. Since you have a non reference card, use RBE to mod your saved bios (opening the shadders) and then WinFlash the modded bios. You will then have a bios with shaders open, and all other features of the original bios. You do not want a 6970 bios. Also modded 6950's are not the same as a 6970. The memory timmings are different as are other parameters. It is incorrect to think of the modded card as a 6970. It is still a 6950 but with increased shadder size. I have a HIS running at 880/1320 shadders unlocked. The only thing I needed to do was set Power control in CCC to max +20%.


Unless things have changed recently, RBE has had troubles with the 6900 cards. However, I do have a set of instructions that do what you described. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316974-33-radeon-6950...
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 30, 2011 9:09:24 PM

ttk81 said:
No, I have Asus EAH6950 DCII and backup of original bios. I am looking for Asus EAH6970 DCII bios (switch position 2, dual link DVI), because 6950 bios has GPU voltage 1.1V and 6970 1.175V.

Asus SmartDoctor is only software for changing voltage, but it is very buggy and it makes random BSODs etc..


For voltage changes, try MSI Afterburner. ASUS SmartDoctor has all kinds of problems beyond the voltage issue you are having.
October 1, 2011 7:22:53 AM

Dogsnake said:
This is what I suggest. Since you have a non reference card, use RBE to mod your saved bios (opening the shadders) and then WinFlash the modded bios. You will then have a bios with shaders open, and all other features of the original bios. You do not want a 6970 bios. Also modded 6950's are not the same as a 6970. The memory timmings are different as are other parameters. It is incorrect to think of the modded card as a 6970. It is still a 6950 but with increased shadder size. I have a HIS running at 880/1320 shadders unlocked. The only thing I needed to do was set Power control in CCC to max +20%.

That's exactly I have done. I have opened shaders from original bios. My card is running 880/1350MHz with shaders opened. (default for EAH6970 DCII is 890/1375MHz)

bystander said:
For voltage changes, try MSI Afterburner. ASUS SmartDoctor has all kinds of problems beyond the voltage issue you are having.

Afterburner does not support voltage changes, because this card is not reference design. I have tried versions 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 Beta 7.

Only way changin voltages besides SmartDoctor is 6970 bios, but maybe I'll just wait for version of MSI afterburner or ASUS Gpu Tweak that supports voltage changes.
October 1, 2011 1:59:11 PM

First off the differences between what you are running at and what you want are not meaningful in real world gaming performance. A true 6970 has different memory timings, voltage regulation and supply components. You are operating the 6950 at about its max levels. I have seen people claim 890's and 1375. As always these claims never say if they are operating at theses levels 24/7 in real use. These series cards are designed to scale their performance to the software demands. So a card running at 890/1375 will only provide the marginal improvement over one at 880/1350 when the demand for 100% utilization is presented. It sounds like you are on the right track here. GL and please post what you finally end up with as a max level(s).
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 1, 2011 4:17:41 PM

ttk81 said:
That's exactly I have done. I have opened shaders from original bios. My card is running 880/1350MHz with shaders opened. (default for EAH6970 DCII is 890/1375MHz)


Afterburner does not support voltage changes, because this card is not reference design. I have tried versions 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 Beta 7.

Only way changin voltages besides SmartDoctor is 6970 bios, but maybe I'll just wait for version of MSI afterburner or ASUS Gpu Tweak that supports voltage changes.


I was able to change my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II with MSI Afterburner. Same with my reference XFX 6950. You just need the most recent MSI Afterburner (or the Beta, I forget).
October 2, 2011 1:17:51 PM

Dogsnake said:
GL and please post what you finally end up with as a max level(s).

GPU 880Mhz is max 24/7 stable with stock voltage 1.1V. Mem could got faster than 1350Mhz, but until I can change voltage I'll do overclocking with CCC.
bystander said:
I was able to change my MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II with MSI Afterburner. Same with my reference XFX 6950. You just need the most recent MSI Afterburner (or the Beta, I forget).

Doesn't work with Asus EAH6950 DCII, this card has different voltage control chip.

Anyway, I wait for newer version of Asus GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner.
!