Computer Issue involving BIOS

slicknslim88

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hey all, I'm not sure where to put this but since I was fiddling with the overclocking stuff I thought I would put it here.

I recently built a rig with the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard. It was working great until I messed with the OC Genie II on it. I changed the DRAM Frequency from 1066 (for some reason it was set to this even though my Ram is 1600) to 1866 accidentally. I thought my Ram was 1866 but it was really 1600. So I saved and exited the BIOS and restarted the comp. Then the wierd stuff happend...right before the Msi logo popped up right after I turned on the computer (where you hit Delete to go to the BIOS) a wierd message popped up super fast, I was only able to read part of it but it was basically saying "don't *** with the OC Genie 2 ***" so I was like alright, I hit Delete to go to the BIOS and went to the OC Genie 2 settings to change it back, and RIGHT before i could change it back, the comp froze, and my mouse froze. I couldn't do anything so I reset the computer, but now the computer won't work period, I can't even get to the BIOS.

I turn it on, the light comes on but the monitor it's plugged to is black and won't come out of power save mode, there are no beeps, and I checked the manual, the LED lights are telling me that everything is peachy, but the display won't come up whatsoever, I tried different monitors, I tried unplugging and plugging back in the RAM, I tried to use the jumper to reset the CMOS and reset the BIOS to what it was, hoping that would work. I even tried different connecting cables to the monitor. Nothing is working, and I can't do anything with this computer now.

I tried Google, but apparently this is a brand new problem with computers for humanity and nobody has this issue. I fucked up by putting 1866 mhz instead of 1600 mhz, did I fry my motherboard? Did I fry my RAM? Somebody help me out here, what could possibly have gone wrong so that I can reset it maybe and fix it, or just replace something.

slicknslim88

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

"I tried to use the jumper to reset the CMOS and reset the BIOS to what it was, hoping that would work."

though I didn't mess around with it too much, I was a bit anxious about messing with the jumpers/CMOS. In the morning I'll try again though, I got some instructions from another site that I'm going to try.

slicknslim88

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
The guy at the Geek Squad told me that he believes that it is most likely that my video card got fried. But I've been bullshitted by the Geek Squad before. Could this be possible? I toyed with the Ram frequency when the screen froze up, so I have a hard time believing that it's the video card. But there really is no activity on the screen whatsoever, the monitor remains on standby mode when I turn the computer on.

I haven't tried pulling the battery out just yet, I'll do that soon.

TRENDING THREADS