Major issues trying to update 11.5 to 11.9 on a 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

giannim

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello, I am trying to upgrade my 4850 from 11.5 to 11.9 and every time I update I run into major issues and the only way to get my computer back into working condition is to do a system restore. After I update to 11.9 it will boot to Windows but then after about 45 seconds I'll get a bunch of flashing boxes then the screen goes completely white with lines. There's a link to a picture of it on the bottom of the page. Or the card's fan will get extremely loud and my monitor screen will go black and say "No Signal."

Here is my setup:
AMD Athlon II X3 450
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

It feels like I've tried everything. I've updated my BIOS. I've made sure everything is up to date in Windows. I've completely uninstalled anything ATI related and even ran Driver Sweeper then updated and it still has the same issues. I don't get why it works on 11.5 but whenever I try to update it does this. What could be causing it? Thanks for any help.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/imag0052hg.jpg/

COLGeek

Cybernaut
11.5 to 11.9 is quite a jump, why were you running such outdated drivers?

Maybe try baby steps. 11.5 to 11.7 to 11.9.
Since the OP essentially did a clean install when he wiped the drivers with Driver Sweeper there is nothing to upgrade. Installing 11.9 directly should not require any previous version of Catalyst to install properly. Just a thought.

I deleted my post Geek when I realized I was still running 11.6.

Anyways, after reading this, I updated to 11.9. No issues whatsoever. I did however experience clock speed and heat issues with 11.7, which is why I was still running 11.6 and never updated it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood, my friend. I, too will install 11.9 when I get home and see what happens.

The Nvidia gpus/drivers suffer from microstuttering too.

Not to mention other issues.

Tom's Hardware:

For example, it is rather difficult to get two Nvidia cards obtained from different vendors, which deviate from the reference specification, to cooperate in SLI. From a pool of six different GeForce GTX 580 cards, only two would work together consistently. From a pool of five different GeForce GTX 570s, only three would. We had problems mixing clock rates, BIOSes, supporting platforms, and so on.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-15.html

However, we all know that 1 video card is better than 2 in many different way which is why I would never build a Xfire/SLI setup.

I've owned the 4XXX, and 5XXX cards over the last 3yrs and I only had trouble with one driver, that was 11.7 which made my idle clocks too high which made my gpu run 55c on idle.

At least it didnt cause my card to overheat and fail like some recent Nvidia drivers I know of. lol

Rofl and how many releases from AMD are bad?
Btw i was not siding with either make but i had more problems with AMD's drivers is all.

I don't know, like I said in 3yrs I've had one, and it didnt cause my card to overheat and fail, just run warmer (55c)

Sorry you were unable to get yours to work correctly. Probably user error. I agree, Nvidia cards ARE more noob friendly.

MouseMonkey, I think you shoud shut this down, the fanboys are foaming at the mouth and you know where this is going.........I'm done

Status
Not open for further replies.