Good to clear XP page file on exit?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile whenever my
XP Pro system exited?

I understand this registry key can do it:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"

Would it be better to start with a new page file because it would
be smaller file and the pages of a required set of pages might be
more close together if the file was recently created?

On the other hand, would it be better if some pages were already
created so that the initial launch time of applications (etc) is
not slowed down by having to create new pages in the page file?

Please advise.

I am a home use with one standalone PC connected to the Net via
cable.
9 answers Last reply
More about good clear page file exit
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:27:44 +0100, Klanky <kl@nk.com> wrote:

    >Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile whenever my
    >XP Pro system exited?
    >
    >I understand this registry key can do it:
    >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    >Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"
    >
    >Would it be better to start with a new page file because it would
    >be smaller file and the pages of a required set of pages might be
    >more close together if the file was recently created?
    >
    >On the other hand, would it be better if some pages were already
    >created so that the initial launch time of applications (etc) is
    >not slowed down by having to create new pages in the page file?
    >
    >Please advise.
    >
    >I am a home use with one standalone PC connected to the Net via
    >cable.

    Page file clearing can be both a good and bad thing. Performance good
    it means the pagefile created on bootup is not fragmented. Performance
    Bad Shutdown and startup can be a lot longer especially if the
    pagefile is large i.e. >1Gb. Security good as less temporary
    information is left on the PC to be retrieved by somebody else who
    gains unauthorised access to the PC.

    Ref your mention of application launch. The initial pagefile is
    created on bootup and variations in size caused by the launch of
    application will happen anyway even if the pagefile is not deleted on
    shutdown. caveat to this being if you set a fixed pagefile size. But
    data will still be written to the pagefile even if you fix the size if
    an application requires it.

    Personally I think the clearing of a page file at shutdown is a waste
    of time unless you need to worry about the security aspects which is
    why it was implemented in the first place.

    My option with plenty of RAM is just turn off the pagefile alltogether
    although I understand this does not actually stop the creation of and
    use of a pagefile completely.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In news:954A60418E4151C3EA@127.0.0.1,
    Klanky <kl@nk.com> typed:

    > Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile
    > whenever my
    > XP Pro system exited?

    No. It's a waste of time.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Andy Lee <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:27:44 +0100, Klanky <kl@nk.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile
    >>whenever my XP Pro system exited?
    >>
    >>I understand this registry key can do it:
    >>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    >>Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"
    >>
    >>Would it be better to start with a new page file because it
    >>would be smaller file and the pages of a required set of pages
    >>might be more close together if the file was recently created?
    >>
    >>On the other hand, would it be better if some pages were
    >>already created so that the initial launch time of
    >>applications (etc) is not slowed down by having to create new
    >>pages in the page file?
    >>
    >>Please advise.
    >>
    >>I am a home use with one standalone PC connected to the Net
    >>via cable.
    >

    > Page file clearing can be both a good and bad thing.
    > Performance good it means the pagefile created on bootup is
    > not fragmented. Performance Bad Shutdown and startup can be a
    > lot longer especially if the pagefile is large i.e. >1Gb.
    > Security good as less temporary information is left on the PC
    > to be retrieved by somebody else who gains unauthorised access
    > to the PC.
    >
    > Ref your mention of application launch. The initial pagefile
    > is created on bootup and variations in size caused by the
    > launch of application will happen anyway even if the pagefile
    > is not deleted on shutdown. caveat to this being if you set a
    > fixed pagefile size. But data will still be written to the
    > pagefile even if you fix the size if an application requires
    > it.
    >
    > Personally I think the clearing of a page file at shutdown is
    > a waste of time unless you need to worry about the security
    > aspects which is why it was implemented in the first place.
    >
    > My option with plenty of RAM is just turn off the pagefile
    > alltogether although I understand this does not actually stop
    > the creation of and use of a pagefile completely.

    But what about this info.

    "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount
    on C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable —
    so it can be used in emergency. Without this, the system is
    inclined to ignore the settings and either have no page file at all
    (and complain) or make a very large one indeed on C:"

    See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php for further discussion.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:07:07 +0100, Thomas <call_me@115_015.com>
    wrote:

    >But what about this info.
    >

    >"If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount
    >on C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable —
    >so it can be used in emergency. Without this, the system is
    >inclined to ignore the settings and either have no page file at all
    >(and complain) or make a very large one indeed on C:"
    >
    >See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php for further discussion.

    Never seen that happen to be honest, with NT4 and Win2000 you had to
    leave a small pagefile on C: or what ever the boot disk was so that
    the dump file could be written in the event of a blue screen. XP does
    not appear to require this or at least it does not complain if say you
    move the pagefile to another partition or disk
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Klanky" <kl@nk.com> wrote in message news:954A60418E4151C3EA@127.0.0.1...
    > Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile whenever my
    > XP Pro system exited?

    No. Setting the initial size large and then leaving it alone might help
    performance.

    > I understand this registry key can do it:
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    > Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"
    >
    > Would it be better to start with a new page file because it would
    > be smaller file and the pages of a required set of pages might be
    > more close together if the file was recently created?

    Recreating it all the time is likely to INCREASE overall fragmentation in
    the long run.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Andy Lee" <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:27:44 +0100, Klanky <kl@nk.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Would I get better performance if I cleared my pagefile whenever my
    > >XP Pro system exited?
    > >
    > >I understand this registry key can do it:
    > >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    > >Manager\Memory Management] "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"
    > >
    > >Would it be better to start with a new page file because it would
    > >be smaller file and the pages of a required set of pages might be
    > >more close together if the file was recently created?
    > >
    > >On the other hand, would it be better if some pages were already
    > >created so that the initial launch time of applications (etc) is
    > >not slowed down by having to create new pages in the page file?
    > >
    > >Please advise.
    > >
    > >I am a home use with one standalone PC connected to the Net via
    > >cable.
    >

    > Page file clearing can be both a good and bad thing. Performance good
    > it means the pagefile created on bootup is not fragmented.

    No, that makes it MORE likely to be fragmented. Creation when exactly did
    you have in mind would be worse and why?

    > Performance
    > Bad Shutdown and startup can be a lot longer especially if the
    > pagefile is large i.e. >1Gb. Security good as less temporary
    > information is left on the PC to be retrieved by somebody else who
    > gains unauthorised access to the PC.
    >
    > Ref your mention of application launch. The initial pagefile is
    > created on bootup and variations in size caused by the launch of
    > application will happen anyway even if the pagefile is not deleted on
    > shutdown. caveat to this being if you set a fixed pagefile size.

    That's optimal for the fragmentation issue.

    > But
    > data will still be written to the pagefile even if you fix the size if
    > an application requires it.
    >
    > Personally I think the clearing of a page file at shutdown is a waste
    > of time unless you need to worry about the security aspects which is
    > why it was implemented in the first place.
    >
    > My option with plenty of RAM is just turn off the pagefile alltogether
    > although I understand this does not actually stop the creation of and
    > use of a pagefile completely.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:23:01 -0700, "root" <postmaster@buchanangc.com>
    wrote:

    >> Page file clearing can be both a good and bad thing. Performance good
    >> it means the pagefile created on bootup is not fragmented.
    >
    >No, that makes it MORE likely to be fragmented. Creation when exactly did
    >you have in mind would be worse and why?

    Ah sorry I was under the impression that when the page file was
    created on boot it would be created as a single contigous file in the
    space available and would become fragmented if and when it needed to
    grow and there was no space to allow it to expand the existing file in
    a linear manner. If this is not the case then to the OP please ignore
    my BAD advice however I stand by my other comments about time taken to
    delete and security issues.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > Ah sorry I was under the impression that when the page file was
    > created on boot it would be created as a single contigous file in the
    > space available and would become fragmented if and when it needed to
    > grow and there was no space to allow it to expand the existing file in
    > a linear manner. If this is not the case then to the OP please ignore
    > my BAD advice however I stand by my other comments about time taken to
    > delete and security issues.

    You are correct about fragmentation being an issue if the pagefile grows.

    However, this "clear pagefile on exit" flag does NOT delete the pagefile. It
    writes zeros to it for those who need extra security (there may be passwords).
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:53:07 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >"Andy Lee" <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ah sorry I was under the impression that when the page file was
    >> created on boot it would be created as a single contigous file in the
    >> space available and would become fragmented if and when it needed to
    >> grow and there was no space to allow it to expand the existing file in
    >> a linear manner. If this is not the case then to the OP please ignore
    >> my BAD advice however I stand by my other comments about time taken to
    >> delete and security issues.
    >>
    >You are correct about fragmentation being an issue if the pagefile grows.
    >
    >However, this "clear pagefile on exit" flag does NOT delete the pagefile. It
    >writes zeros to it for those who need extra security (there may be passwords).

    Cheers Eric nice to learn something new. Can't be a wasted day after
    all.

    Regards

    Andy Lee

    --

    It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP