Upgraded to GTX 560 from 8800 GT - No Performance Difference At All

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
So i just upgraded to a brand new 1gb gtx 560 from 8800 gt and there is simply no performance difference , heck i can say that gta 4 and mafia 2 runs worse

my cpu is c2d e8400 @3.2.ghz and power supply is OCZ stealthxstream 600W.

i tried re-installing different drivers but it didnt help , could the brand new gtx 560 be faulty? i mean can a faulty gfx card would work but underperform??? i also think a cpu bottleneck cant be this bad , right?

the weird thing with my problem is:

like all the games are doing their best to act like i didnt install a gtx 560 , they simply gave the same performance as 8800gt but with using gtx 560's %30-40-50 percent of power.

for example:

driver san francisco used to run at 30-60 fps with 8800gt , now it runs EXACTLY same with gtx560 but when i look the gpu usage it is %30!!!!!!!!!!!! shouldnt it work like at i dont know %50-60 to ensure that i have a stable 60 fps , but no it runs at %30 and fps goes down to 30's.

gta 4 runs worse with gtx 560.. it was playable with an 8800gt but now the fps goes down to 15. according to msi burner it uses %30-35 of gpu

mafia 2 , runs the same but has stuttering ( fps goes down to 15 for a sec) and it also uses %100 of gpu but fps is around 25-35 , same as the 8800gt performed!

ac brotherhood , it used to run around 15-20 fps at max with 8800gt, now it runs at 20-30 with an gtx 560 and uses about %50 of gpu

batman arkham asylum: runs the same , uses %30 of gpu.

bf3: uses %100 of gpu but runs at 25-35 fps at high.

please help! thanks

verdenshersker

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
You can try clock the CPU as well... If you have a decent cooler like CM Hyper 212+, you might be able to clock to at least 4 Ghz.
Also depends on your other equipment and stepping on cpu.

What stepping is your CPU? E0 or C0?

you don't say what ram you have or how much/you have a fast dual core and it holds you back no matter what you clock it at...... (game makes use of quads ) /what opsys ? you should get a little better performance from that 560 but not necessarily a lot more FPS. check your nvidia control panel settings along with your in game panel.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
DO NOT upgrade to any other socket 775 cpu... your wasting money on a 3 generation old socket... overclock the balls off of that e8400, those processors love overclocking, even on a stock cooler you should be able to take it to 3.6 stable with a LITTLE voltage bump (i built an e8400 machine for my buddy that i did a LOT of tinkering with) if anything buy the hyper 212+ they were talking about and overclock until you cant get another tenth of a ghz out of it. if you still dont see an increase in fps in game hope your gpu company is nice and will RMA if still no change... well save for a sandy bridge or a bulldozer

bpeglow

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I used to have an e8400 in my old build and upgraded from a 8800GT to a Radeon 5770 and got a performance boost when my 8800 died. I know the e8400 is only a dual core, but it should'nt bottleneck THAT bad. What resolution are you gaming at? Bottlenecks are more apparent at lower resolutions. Did you update to the newest drivers?

Idk, if you're getting ~30fps on BF3 you're actually doing pretty well since a quad core is recommended for that game. But something seems to be up with the other games.

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
i play at 1920x1080. so all you guys think its a bottleneck? but how come it could run worse?

again as i said. 8800gt ran gta 4 better then a gtx 560. could the gfx card be faulty??

I don't know about GTA4 although I am led to understand that it runs better on a quad core CPU but when I got my GTX560Ti's I ran them up on my E8400 rig and one on its own was comparable with the two 8800GT's that were in before and when I added the second the performance went up again, so I think it's more the game than the CPU or the card.

G

I would have to say it's your 560, I have a Sparkle 560Ti and I more than double my FPS from my 8800gt (all Stalker games max out)
C2D E6750
Asus P5E
DDR2 1066 4GB

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

well did you played any of the games i mentioned?

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

i did use a drivercleaner program.

mafia2 gta 4 is giving the same performance as 8800gt , i mean there is not even a 5 fps boost

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Because those two programs take advantage of quadcores, meaning even if you have a high clocked dual core you wont get anywhere near the performance of a good quadcore for those games.

regardless of his CPU bottleneck he should still see SOME performance increase with a new vid card which is significantly faster than his old one, not a decrease. But you MUST use driversweeper in safe mode when changing gfx cards to get rid of driver/registry settings that do not get removed through a normal driver uninstall/update. And also, yes, OC the CPU, its really easy and you should be able to get 300-400 mhz out of it without a better cooler or voltage increase.

I disagree, I've not used that program in years and now that the Nvidia driver has the clean install option I see even less use for it.

^so your saying dont use it when it may possibly fix an issue as it has for many people? why wouldn't you try it anyway, it will rule out one more possibility. There are plenty of times in the past when i have been troubleshooting a problem, and think, "nah, no point doing that, it wont fix the problem" only to kik myself later after trying many other things and finding it does fix the problem. Dont rule something out just because its improbable, especially such an easy thing to do.

I've found that driversweeper can delete files that it shouldn't thus causing more problems than you had in the first place and why use third party software when a little bit of knowledge of your OS and some information of things that have worked in the past can put you on the road to true geekdom rather just being another 'point and click' merchant that always has to download something to fix a problem?

exittoexist

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
let aside gta 4.

the interesting thing about games like: driver sf , batman:arkham asylum, dead rising 2 they use %30-40-50 of the gpu and fps goes around 30-60.

is this happening because they are console ports? i mean shouldnt the fps be at stable 60? these 3 shouldnt be cpu hungry games i believe.

the system also can play bf3 on ultra with 2xmsaa @ 1680x1050 but fps sometimes goes down to 25. so i play at high with a stable 35+ fps

TRENDING THREADS