Please Help! My screen goes BLACK.

kidd_koopa

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I'm having a problem that is starting to frustrate me. When I'm gaming (AVA) and have played for about an hour my screen goes completely black, and shows "No Display" and I'd have to press the reset button just to get the computer running again. This hasn't been the first time and happens very often lately. Also sometimes when it does actually recover from going black it says my driver has stopped and recovered (Happens often as well when surfing the web). Please help me figure out how I can fix this.

MY PC Specs:
ASUS P6T SE Mother Board
Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz
Astek 510LC Mainstream Liquid CPU Cooler
6 Gb Memory
EVGA GTX 470-Latest Driver
ZALMAN VF3000F
XION 700 Watt Power Supply
Also got 5 fans running

Solution
Have you done everything you can to prove its not a heat retention issue? You are loosing the GPU at some point as is shown by the "No Display".

- If you are savvy enough take the heatsink off the gpu and reapply thermal paste, if needed.
- Clean the heatsink and fan.
- Make sure your case is not getting overwhelmingly hot, sucking hot air into a heatsink is a very quick killer.
- Verify ALL of you fans (case fans, psu, cpu as well as gpu) are spinning smoothly and consistently, no shuddering or shakey slowdowns, signs of a dying fan.
- Do your fans ramp up on game play or do they stay the same as when just browsing? A sign that bios settings may be bad or your software/hardware fan controller is not working as it should.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Have you done everything you can to prove its not a heat retention issue? You are loosing the GPU at some point as is shown by the "No Display".

- If you are savvy enough take the heatsink off the gpu and reapply thermal paste, if needed.
- Clean the heatsink and fan.
- Make sure your case is not getting overwhelmingly hot, sucking hot air into a heatsink is a very quick killer.
- Verify ALL of you fans (case fans, psu, cpu as well as gpu) are spinning smoothly and consistently, no shuddering or shakey slowdowns, signs of a dying fan.
- Do your fans ramp up on game play or do they stay the same as when just browsing? A sign that bios settings may be bad or your software/hardware fan controller is not working as it should.

Solution

kidd_koopa

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I installed SpeedFan but how can I find out my temperature right before my screen goes black. Like is there a saved temperature reading?
Also when idle my GPU temp is 32C and CPU is 34C. When gaming at MAX settings my GPU ranges from 38-41C and CPU gets to about 57C. I might have to get a new CPU Heatsink.

nna2

Distinguished
i got this issue with minecraft (yes... minecraft)
try updating your drivers... and also make sure there the right drivers coz my problem in minecraft was caused by steam(yes steam) updating my ati drivers to amd drivers... hope this helps

kidd_koopa

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
This black screen problem started probably 2 weeks ago. But even before after 5 months of getting the computer, I would occasionally freeze in-game and the gun shots/grenade explosions sounds would lag/repeat. Then it would lead to the blue screen, something about memory dump.

What do you mean by "your 470 is going out.?"

kidd_koopa

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I have heard of memtest but I have no idea on how to install/use it. Also my motherboard is triple channel so I'm running 2Gb X 3. And yeah I have a GTX 470. Could it be that my memory can have a play in this problem as well?

TRENDING THREADS