Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply

Last response: in Motherboards
January 4, 2013 8:05:42 AM

Hello everyone.

(Tower) computer:
Motherboard = Asus P5K SE, video card = Asus GTX 560 ti dcii overclocking, RAM = 6 GB (However my xp home premium runs 3 of the 6 GB), Power Supply = 500W, Harddisk is SATA 500GB.
This is what I remember about my computer since it's been down for 1½ year now and a week ago I delivered it to a company to fix it.

So overall my computer got fried 1½ year ago (the video card), ½ year ago I bought the GTX560 mentioned above and fried even more cercuits.

Problem:
So basically the GTX560 needs 550W and my power supply gives 500W, when I first started my computer with the GTX560 in it, something went wrong and a stench of burned carbon or plastic mixed with metal soon filled the entire house.
The guy looking at my computer now, says it that 1 of my RAM card holders (not sure what they are called? Pins or something) are fried and would cost too much to fix it alone and a new motherboard would be better.

However! (Question): He says that my GTX560 (550W) does not have any conflicts with my power supply?;O
How is this possible? He says it's because sometimes the power supply gives more than what the people made it, says.
Somehow I'm uncertain of this and fear that my computer is gona burn down again as soon as I start it again :s
After all my GTX560 is overclocked and I play around 10 hours a day sometimes longer on my computer, and since I'm gona play games like Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2 and what not, I fear it may stress the GTX560 and the 500W power supply untill they light up like fireworks :S

Also, when I spoke with another employe of the company and said that I tried to run a 550W video card with a 500W power supply, he simply replied with laughing o.O???
Who's right? The guy repairing my computer telling me he installed the GTX560 and there is no conflict between it and my power supply?
Or my instinct and the laughing employe? :s

More about : power supply

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 9:48:05 AM

A 500watt PSU can easily handle a GTX 560 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547 look at the bottom (7th one from last) you'll see OCCt load power consumption. It says 329watts so the maximum it can ever reach is 400watts (with single GPU installed and no other pcie slot)
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 76 U Graphics card
a c 77 V Motherboard
January 4, 2013 10:17:44 AM

depends on quality, cheap non-certified PSU will surely make us laugh :D 
list your PSU brand here
Related resources
January 4, 2013 11:21:50 AM

Xttony said:
A 500watt PSU can easily handle a GTX 560 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547 look at the bottom (7th one from last) you'll see OCCt load power consumption. It says 329watts so the maximum it can ever reach is 400watts (with single GPU installed and no other pcie slot)

Alright, it should work kind of smoothly, else I can hopefully lower graphics in games or I don't know what would affect the power consumption ^_^ We'll see, but thanks for telling me : )
January 4, 2013 11:25:04 AM

AMD Radeon said:
depends on quality, cheap non-certified PSU will surely make us laugh :D 
list your PSU brand here

I'll see if I can find the name as soon as I go to bring the computer home later today, what I can tell is that I bought my computer 3-4 years ago or so, a gaming computer for 8,000kr about 869,904633 UK£ I don't know the exact valuta or anything so google is to blame if it's wrong : )
!