Wise to remove unusued file extensions?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Several registry cleaners I have used on my system have identified
many unused file extensions in the registry.

Is it wise to delete them as the application suggests?

The reg cleaners identify extension like these:
..0 000 003 .acr .bat .com .DE .E .gsm .mag .SRV .uk .TZ .xlw

They are all in this key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Currentversion\Explorer\FileExts

The registry entry for the listed ones says:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

I recognise some of the extensions as ones which I use. For
example .bat and .com, But are they unnecessary where the reg
cleaner has found them? So is it wise to delete them as the
application suggests?
1 answer Last reply
More about wise remove unusued file extensions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Svend Cr wrote:

    > Several registry cleaners I have used on my system have identified
    > many unused file extensions in the registry.
    >
    > Is it wise to delete them as the application suggests?
    >
    > The reg cleaners identify extension like these:
    > .0 000 003 .acr .bat .com .DE .E .gsm .mag .SRV .uk .TZ .xlw
    >
    > They are all in this key:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Currentversion\Explorer\FileExts
    >
    > The registry entry for the listed ones says:
    > (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    >
    > I recognise some of the extensions as ones which I use. For
    > example .bat and .com, But are they unnecessary where the reg
    > cleaner has found them? So is it wise to delete them as the
    > application suggests?

    registry cleaners aren't really good at searching for all those files.
    go to start, search for files, type *.0 and see if anything comes up.
    you may want to enable searching slow files and hidden and system files.
    if nothing is found, then go ahead and delete the entry. do this for all
    the file types (*.acr, etc) and use this as the basis for determining
    what is "unused".

    also, this isn't going to save you a lot of registry space or anything.

    Eric

Configuration Microsoft Extension Registry Windows XP