Sign in with
Your question

Case Fans Problems

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2012 10:34:01 PM

Hello,

I have a casing which supports up to 6 case fans. The problem is that my PSU only has 4 molex connectors. Can I power 6 case fans with my PSU? Sorry, I really don't have much knowledge with these stuffs. Please help, your response would be greatly appreciated!

TNX!

More about : case fans problems

February 28, 2012 10:43:32 PM

You can connect as many fans as you want, since the adapters are usually through connectors.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 28, 2012 10:44:06 PM

Personally I think its fine as fans don't use to much power. if you can get 2 molex per 3 fans that would be the better safest option.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 10:46:52 PM

The number of molex connections does not necessarily matter when determining how many fans you computer can support. That is determined by the amount of power your PSU can support. Adapters are available to allow for more than one fan to be plugged into a single molex plug. Before doing this though I would ensure that you have enough power. Use this guide to determine that your current PSU can handle the power need: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If you just need more adapters you can purchase them at Frys or on sites like Amazon or NewEgg. Here is an example: for $6.50
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-MC1-Multi-connector-Add...

BTW: fans use very little power so its usally not a big deal.

Another option is to use a fan controller. These take a single moex and allow you to control the speed of several fans so that you can lower the noise level at night or when the cooling is not needed. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/SUNBEAMTECH-PL-RS-6-RHEOSMART-FAN...
m
l
a c 147 ) Power supply
February 28, 2012 10:47:38 PM

Orlando_Elman said:
Hello,

I have a casing which supports up to 6 case fans. The problem is that my PSU only has 4 molex connectors. Can I power 6 case fans with my PSU? Sorry, I really don't have much knowledge with these stuffs. Please help, your response would be greatly appreciated!

TNX!

1) Just because your case supports 6 fans, it does not mean that using them all is a great idea. Start with what comes with the case first. 2 in or 2 out is normally sufficient.

2) To answer your question, fans will come with molex connectors that can be daisy chained, much like connecting strings of Christmas lights. Your psu will have no problem with such stacking.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:54:14 PM

Alright, thanks for the quick response guys! So basically, there are available adapters out there that could connect 2 case fans to a single molex?

By the way, what does daisy chain mean? Hot-wiring the wires directly?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 12:15:40 AM

Orlando_Elman said:
Alright, thanks for the quick response guys! So basically, there are available adapters out there that could connect 2 case fans to a single molex?

no its basically you can plug 1 fan into a molex adapter thing has 1 in and 1 out, plug one side into the fan and the other into another fan

looks like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

to daisy chain fans you basically hook multiples of those off one molex > fan > other molex coming off the fan > etc
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:23:38 AM

But fcomstoc said that adapters are available to allow for more than one fan to be plugged into a single molex plug. (see above) I personally think that a single molex plug could support 2 fans since fans consume little power.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 12:26:27 AM

Orlando_Elman said:
But fcomstoc said that adapters are available to allow for more than one fan to be plugged into a single molex plug. (see above) I personally think that a single molex plug could support 2 fans since fans consume little power.

Yeah, thats what I meant that adapter plugs into the fan then lets you use the other molex connector that comes from the fan (with adapter) for whatever you like. (check the picture its alot easier to explain then what im babbling about.)
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:35:37 AM

Alright, I see. Thanks, really helped me a lot. By the way, could a 500W PSU 80+ bronze rated enough to power an HD 6770?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 12:38:59 AM

Orlando_Elman said:
Alright, I see. Thanks, really helped me a lot. By the way, could a 500W PSU 80+ bronze rated enough to power an HD 6770?

kinda depends on the brand but yeah it can, im using an Antec 500W to power a 6870, runs nicely :) 
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:41:27 AM

Wow, nice... Is your PSU 80+ bronze?
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 1:04:03 AM

80+ bronze is an efficiency standard. Its all about how much 12 volt wattage or amperage(V X A = W or W / V = A) you can get from the power supply in question.

Unless it is a real bad unit a 6770 is not a power hungry card(be lucky if it uses 70-100 watts in most games.)

As for the fans, go nuts, I had 6 hard drives on a single molex without issues(my own adapters).

If you list the exact power supply model, we can tell you yes or no.
m
l
a c 147 ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 1:40:41 AM

Orlando_Elman said:

If you look at a fan, you will usually see a molex plug with two sides on it; one male, and one female. Some fans also have a 3 pin header which can be plugged into the motherboard. It is dependent on what the case supplier does.
The Psu will have several plugs or outlets.

When you plug the male side of the fan molex into the female psu plug, you will still have an empty and available female plug for the next fan.

You can do this as many times as you need to, in practice.

A daisy chain is a string of daisies linked together to form a chain.
In slang it means a series of interconnected or related things , like molex plugs connected together.
m
l
February 29, 2012 11:07:39 PM

My PSU is Cooler Master eXtreme power 500W. Can it power an HD 6770?
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
February 29, 2012 11:25:12 PM

That is not a very well reviewed power supply. Mostly due to ripple being out of spec at higher loads.

If the system is not overclocked or running some top end hardware with that cad, it should work just fine.

But please note, that if you push the power supply closer to its maximum power(overclocking too much or adding too much hardware), you may risk the system becoming less stable.
m
l
!